Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Isuzu 4 cylinder and was reading about powertrax or or any other lsd that wouldn't be to much trouble but when I go browsing the net I can't find any for 01 just to 99 or 4 cylinder just for 6 cylinder. Anyone know if it will work or done it? Could be I over looked it since I was using my phone also though. anything would be helpful. Thanks Alex

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
you have a dana 44 in the rear so just find an LSD, locker or whatever you want for a dana 44. The dana 44s in our isuzus have whatever gearing on a 3.73 and lower carrier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. That helped a lot. Now I'm just needing some opinions before I try and go for it if anyone has any knowledge to share . I want to get this locker http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8126&Product=SL_D44-30&Brand=Spartan_Locker but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and if its worth it? I read somewhere you don't want a locker on anything not for just offroading but I also read on a forum that it didn't change much except getting use to the way it drives. Is it a.hard install? Thanks Alex Also I done know if it makes any difference but my Isuzu is an automatic.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
All automatic lockers are similar. Some make more noise, some make less, but basically they are all the same.

I'd like to warn you:

1) After the installation, you probably will be unpleasantly surprised how the vehicle handles on-road, especially on freeway. Changing the lanes 75 MPH with auto locker is something that you have to learn.

2) I guess you have a usual "thick" Isuzu Dana 44 gears. For this reason, the installation is not in-place, you will have to remove the differential from the vehicle and install it back again.

You have the following choices:
1) If you are not going to serious 4-wheeling, then find a good aggressive LSD (I recommend TrueTrac), or do not do anything.
2) If you are going to the trails and have some money, then buy a selectable ARB locker.
3) If you have no money, and you really want to take your vehicle to 4-wheeling, then buy a cheap auto locker and learn to live with it.

Isuzu locker applications may be tricky. I'd advise check the site http://www.independent4x.com, and give them a call. They know the Isuzu applications, for LSD and lockers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I think I will go with the lsd. I don't plan to do anything serious. I just hate getting stuck when I can see that I could get out fine if the other wheel would do some work. Hopefully lsd installs aren't tricky. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
_=alex=_ said:
Thanks. I think I will go with the lsd. I don't plan to do anything serious. I just hate getting stuck when I can see that I could get out fine if the other wheel would do some work. Hopefully lsd installs aren't tricky. Thanks again.
LSD install is as tricky as a full locker installation. No less. You are changing the carrier, and you have to set up the differential. A good shop can do that, but it will cost money.

There are two types of LSDs: "clutchless" (like TrueTrac) and "clutch-based" (like the stock Isuzu LSD). The first type is LSD is often more aggressive, does not require special fluids, and does not wear out with time. But the "clutchless" LSD does not provide any traction when one tire is completely in the air, unless you apply the emergency brake, slightly. The "clutch-based" LSD always provide some traction, but Dana44 LSD in Isuzus is so mild that, from my point of view, it is almost useless. I was wheeling in an Isuzu vehicle with open Dana 44, and in an Isuzu vehicle with Dana 44 LSD. I could not tell the difference. I'd not waste time and money on Isuzu LSD.

I was using TrueTrac LSD in my other Isuzu vehicle and it was working great, for mild 4-wheeling. But, as I said, the installation job costs the same money as a good locker job.

If you just want to prepare your vehicle for mild 4-wheeling, then time and money could be more efficiently spent on the suspension job. Lift it, make better articulation, install good tires. You will get much more effect per dollar spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts