Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to upgrade my 2001 Rodeo V6 with a clutch fan to a Hayden electric fan, ordered the fan and the fan switch but was wondering if anyone knew what might be a good temperature to have it turn on at? and should I go by block or readiator temperature?
They sell preset switches that come on at 185 degrees and shut off at 170 degrees but I went with a adjustable switch so I could set it where I want or turn it on for towing or in a area with alot of hills.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! A few mechanics told me to wait till the thermostat opens up which according to the manual is 173-187 degrees F then have the fan turn on a few minutes after which would put the car in the right temp range for the fan to come on.

I am doing this because my clutch fan has been making a odd noise lately and showing signs of going out and it wasn't much more money to upgrade from a clutch fan to an electric fan. I also do alot of fishing and camping in areas with long hill climbs, high altitude and sometimes the desert. When I had a Toyota pickup the clutch fan wasn't always sufficient and I found upgrading that car to a electric fan atleast to me was an improvement. Also a few people said it wasn't a bad idea considering I am intalling a transmission cooler also in front of the radiator.

If I happen to get better fuel economy or power even better but wasn't really my goal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fan I ordered is about the same size as the stock one and after taking a long look and some measurements I should be able to fabricate a aluminum frame work that will mount with the stock fan shroud mounting points and then mount the new electric fan and the fan shroud to that. I can't imagine using those zip ties they supply to mount anything to the radiator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts