Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to upgrade my 2001 Rodeo V6 with a clutch fan to a Hayden electric fan, ordered the fan and the fan switch but was wondering if anyone knew what might be a good temperature to have it turn on at? and should I go by block or readiator temperature?
They sell preset switches that come on at 185 degrees and shut off at 170 degrees but I went with a adjustable switch so I could set it where I want or turn it on for towing or in a area with alot of hills.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
That engine typically runs on the cool side doesn't it? Figure out what the stock thermostat is and set the switch to come on 10*F above the thermostat opening point.

My engine has a thermostat of 195*F so I have the fan come on at half speed at 205*F and it is on full at 210*F. I have a Painless Performance pulse width fan controller and I set the turn on temp based on the temp the ECM sees. The temp readings for the fan controller come from the head.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to over-cool your engine. Modern engines are designed to run hot at around 200 degrees. If the engine over cools, it will drop out of closed loop, waste fuel and expel excessive exhaust emissions. Personally, I can't think of a reason to do this conversion. You're not going to gain significant power from eliminating the mechanical fan that is probably doing it's job just fine and attempting to cool the engine beyond design specs is going to cause other problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! A few mechanics told me to wait till the thermostat opens up which according to the manual is 173-187 degrees F then have the fan turn on a few minutes after which would put the car in the right temp range for the fan to come on.

I am doing this because my clutch fan has been making a odd noise lately and showing signs of going out and it wasn't much more money to upgrade from a clutch fan to an electric fan. I also do alot of fishing and camping in areas with long hill climbs, high altitude and sometimes the desert. When I had a Toyota pickup the clutch fan wasn't always sufficient and I found upgrading that car to a electric fan atleast to me was an improvement. Also a few people said it wasn't a bad idea considering I am intalling a transmission cooler also in front of the radiator.

If I happen to get better fuel economy or power even better but wasn't really my goal.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You should see everything your after but I highly suggest getting or fabricating the shroud or at least make sure your fan(s) cover almost all of the rad. I remember reading that the Isuzu V6 ran cool so have the fan come on at 195*F. Yes most modern engines run hotter but obviously not this one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fan I ordered is about the same size as the stock one and after taking a long look and some measurements I should be able to fabricate a aluminum frame work that will mount with the stock fan shroud mounting points and then mount the new electric fan and the fan shroud to that. I can't imagine using those zip ties they supply to mount anything to the radiator.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yea they are not a good idea. They work well if you can support the weight of the fan by another means and just use the ties to hold the fan against the rad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts