Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help my friend with his truck. It's v6 two wheel drive auto. It's got a couple of issues I could use some help with.

1. Occasionally at low speeds when accelerating the steering wheel locks up and won't turn. He said the brake engages at the same time. After killing the motor and restarting it the steering wheel is fine. Could this be related to the cable the runs to the key lock?

2. He gets the reduced power as well. I know this can be caused by several things such as the MAF sensor or TPS. Where is the best place to start and what's the best way to determine the cause? I have searched and found lots of info just not sure where to start.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
When the Reduced Power lamp is illuminated the CEL should also be illuminated indicating one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are stored. Reduced Power mode indicates a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)system, step one in troubleshooting this problem is to retrieve the DTCs and see what defect OBDII is reporting.

I know of no failure mode that can cause the steering wheel to lock with the ignition switch in the Run position. The steering wheel lock on a 2001 Rodeo is purely mechanical, the lock can only be engaged with ignition switch in the Off/Lock position AND the key removed.

As far as the shifter cable goes, if the sheaf is loose in the securing clamp it can prevent the ignition switch from being placed in Off/Lock position when in Park. This prevents removal of the ignition key which in turn prevents locking of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buster28. The reduced power mode is intermittent and now that I have it of course it wont go into that mode for me. So I havent been able to get the codes pulled. I cleaned the three sensors on the air intake. Not sure what I can do if I cant get the codes other than either wait or start replacing things at random.

Thanks on the steering cable info as well. I had trouble imagining how this could happen.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
There is also a sensor attached to the accelerator pedal, cleverly called the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS). It tells the PCM the position of the pedal, the PCM responds by sending a positioning control signal to the throttle plate motor. As the throttle plate moves the TPS sends back to the PCM a voltage indicating the actual position of the throttle plate. The MAF signal is checked by the PCM to ensure the air flow is consistent with the commanded and actual throttle position. The TPS is actually 2 sensors in a single package and the APS is three sensors. Lots of things to go wrong, and difficult to troubleshoot. If it is intermittent it could be the throttle body wiring harness has broken wire, carefully wiggle the wires on the throttle body connector. A defect causing Reduced Power can cause the throttle to be commanded shut by the PCM as a safety precaution. I also have reason believe that some failures can cause the PCM to shut the engine OFF, so your steering lockup may actually be loss of power steering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will check out the APS as well.

That is a very good point about the engine shutting off, that is the only way I could see the steering wheel would lock up as well. Tha would make more sense. So sounds like they are the same issue with different symptoms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts