Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2001 Rodeo Rear Wipers run when vehicle is started.

712 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SammyCucuzza 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. The rear wiper motor runs for about a minute each time the vehicle is started and each time it is switched off. It will also run when I push the button on the dash. At the moment, it does not return to the 'park' position.

The rear wiper motor runs for about 28 swipes each time:
1) The ignition key is switched from OFF to ON position.
2) The ignition key is switched from ON to OFF position.
3) The dash mounted rear wiper switch is toggled on to off, it continues to run for another 28 swipes.

It is very predictable.

I have tried removing the 10 AMP fuse from the inside fuse block position labled 'Rear Wiper & Washer'. Removing the fuse has no effect. The motor continues to run through its cycle.

I have lifted the wiper off the glass and it dangles in the air. It is a real conversation starter in the grocery parking lot when I'm walking away from the vehicle and the wiper is wiggling in the air......

I've read various threads on this forum and none match my Rodeo's specific behavior. Has someone solved a similar problem and can help me with the diagnosis?

See less See more
#3 ·
The rear wiper on a 2001 Rodeo is controlled by the Alarm and Relay panel. The power for the motor is 10 Amp fuse CB16 in the dash fuse panel. There are five wires connecting the rear wiper assembly to the Alarm and Relay panel. The wiper switch sends +12 VDC from the fuse to the Alarm and Relay panel connector I-42 Pin 20 (Yellow/Red) to turn on the wiper.

On the rear wiper assembly connector (G6) :
Pin 1 Green is the Park signal
Pin 2 Blue is the Park and Run common
Pin 3 Not used
Pin 4 Red is the wiper motor supply
Pin 5 is the Run signal
Pin 6 Black is the wiper motor return

You may have an open in the Park signal conductor in the door harness.

#4 ·
Thank you to those who commented and provided recommendations.

I'm only as sure I pulled the correct fuse as the fuse panel diagram is accurate. I pulled other fuses around the one designated for the rear wiper and checked those functions. These others did not work with the fuse out. So, if the diagram is accurate, I pulled the correct fuse.

I will check for the open in the harness as suggested, weather permitting.

#5 ·
SammyCucuzza said:
Thank you to those who commented and provided recommendations.

I'm only as sure I pulled the correct fuse as the fuse panel diagram is accurate. I pulled other fuses around the one designated for the rear wiper and checked those functions. These others did not work with the fuse out. So, if the diagram is accurate, I pulled the correct fuse.

I will check for the open in the harness as suggested, weather permitting.
This circuit is obviously getting current from somewhere else.

You are going to have to start at the fuse and trace the circuit on both legs, to find where it is picking current up from.

#6 ·
When you turn off the wiper switch, power to the Alarm & Relay panel for normal operation is removed, but there is an alternate power source in the Alarm & Relay panel to drive the wiper to the park position otherwise it would stop in whatever position it was in when you turned off the switch. If the Park line is open it can't sense it is in the Park position and keeps running. The other source is probably the 10 Amp fuse CB6 (Dome Lamp) which also provides power to the Alarm & Relay panel.

#7 ·
Thanks to Buster28. Your description and advice helped me find the broken wire.

As you described, the dome light fuse/circuit was the alternate power source. I started the rear wiper sequence and pulled the dome light fuse. The rear wiper stopped.

I started at the wiper motor connector inside the rear swing gate and worked back toward the body using my ohm meter to look for the open connection. The wire was broken inside the rubber gromet/cable routing between the body and the rear gate. I spliced in a new wire to connect the broken ends and all is again working as designed.

It took about 2 hours and zero dollars. Without your accurate advice, I might have spent much more time (looking in the wrong place) and money. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.