Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an intermittent pop or clunk sound in the front left side when turning and braking or braking alone. It does not happen all of the time but is beginning to get irritating.

I can drive the car for hours and do figure eights, sharp turns, whatever and get no sound, but once i touch the brake and turn, I get a pop. I can cruise straight and hit the brakes, no pop, but every so often it comes up only when braking.

I have had people tell me it's the front end, but I had alignment checked, straight as an arrow, no reports of broken or worn items either. Being as I can turn the wheel forever sitting still and also while driving and get no pops, I have a hard time buying that it is the front end. I called Sears who did a brake job for me and they swear they have never heard of it and it sounds like the front end.

Anyone else ever heard of this issue? I saw some posts about body mounts, I am no mechanic but I have the repair manual and am going to look into it. Any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If you got ~100k miles I would look into the CV joints.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I have pretty much the same thing on my '99. Mine mostly does it when the wheels are turned most of the way and I'm pullin in/backing out of a parking space. Bad ball joints can cause it but I replaced all 4 of mine with no change. Havent tracked mine down yet. I'm thinking its control arm bushings but they look good with every test I've tried (and I just dont want it to be that :evil: ) Your right it is annoying, and embarassing. I have 90k miles on mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with previous post - it is often the shock hitting the sway bar. The sway bar can slide/shift from side to a little, especially after a big bump. Take a look at it and see if it is centered. If not, wack it a few times and center it.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.