Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2001 Rodeo with the V-6 and automatic transmission. The other day while driving I went around a right turn and the speedometer and tachometer, odometer and radio all stopped working, the engine was still running. The gauges worked then quit, then worked then quit several times within a minute or so. I pulled over, turned off the AC and was able to head back home. On the way home (about a mile)everything was fine.This has never happened before. The Rodeo has 202K miles. Since then I cleaned the battery terminals.

Looking for advice. Is it the alternator, ignition wiring harness, relay etc? The alternator seems ok and charges the battery just fine. I checked the battery with a multi-meter set on AC with the engine running and had 0.186 volts AC to check the rectifier diode. Should it be 0 AC volts?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
If the gauges and the aftermarket radio quit working at the same time the radio must be wired into the +12 Vdc supply for the gauges, the factory radio is on a separate circuit. See if you can find the wire supplying +12Vdc to the radio and tell me what fuse it connects to. The fuse for the gauges is labled "Meter" and is in the dash fuse panel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the fuses. With ignition on the radio on, I pulled the 15 amp audio fuse and radio went off. I also just changed that fuse and the meter fuse. The meter fuse was still good but the blades were pretty dark. Maybe that might help?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Do you have a bunch of stuff on your keychain? If so, try driving with just the ignition key. You could have a failing ignition switch that is momentarily losing accessory power. Seen it a lot on GM stuff. You make a turn or a sudden braking maneuver or a bump, and the swinging of the keychain will move the whole switch just enough to break contact.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only have the vehicle key and house key. I tugged on the key and it seems snug in the ignition. Not sure if the ignition harness that the key assembly goes into has an issue. When I went into the turn I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd not sure if that did anything? This is the only time it has happened. Don't want it to happen at again if possible. Otherwise vehicle runs great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have the vehicle key and house key. I tugged on the key and it seems snug in the ignition. Not sure if the ignition harness that the key assembly goes into has an issue. When I went into the turn I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd not sure if that did anything? This is the only time it has happened. Don't want it to happen at again if possible. Otherwise vehicle runs great.
I changed the ECM relay ran it today and all was well. Stopped at the store on the way home it happened again. Ran fine but the speedometer odometer and tachometer as well as the radio stopped working. Then after two minutes it worked fine. At home with the engine running I wiggled the wires under the dash and wires feeding the radio. No problems. Also lightly wiggled the ignition key with the engine running no problem.

still looking for ideas and help!! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the gauges and the aftermarket radio quit working at the same time the radio must be wired into the +12 Vdc supply for the gauges, the factory radio is on a separate circuit. See if you can find the wire supplying +12Vdc to the radio and tell me what fuse it connects to. The fuse for the gauges is labled "Meter" and is in the dash fuse panel.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram to show where the grounds are under the dash? Thinking this might be the cause. Replaced the meter and radio fuses with no change. Runs great then the tach, speedometer, odometer and radio go on and off several times then stop for a few moments then come on again

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
The Speedo has four electrical connections
one to the Odometer
one from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
one from meter fuse supplying +12 Vdc
one from ground point C-16 which is on the LH inner fender

The Tach has four electrical connections
one to the Odometer
one from meter fuse supplying +12 Vdc
one from the PCM supplying the input signal
one from ground point C-16 which is on the LH inner fender

Make sure the C-16 ground point and connections are clean and tight.
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts