Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shift shaft seal is leaking. I purchased a new one but am having trouble getting the linkage off the shaft. Every time i turn the nut holding the linkage/sensor onto the shaft it basically shifts the transmission. The manual says to remove the shifter from the console but this makes ZERO sense to me. Wouldn't it then allow the transmission shaft to move more freely then?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
To replace that seal, you'll need to take everything off of the selector shaft - nut, shift linkage, selector switch, etc. It doesn't hurt anything to move the shaft when you remove the nut, as it all pretty much goes back together one way.

When you replace that seal, be sure to use the correct tool. I've tried removing them with a small flat head screwdriver and installing them with a socket. It takes forever that way, and you risk boogering up the aluminum housing for the seal/shaft and then you've got a worse leak.

I just replaced one in the transmission I'm putting in my Trooper, and used this tool. It took seconds to remove and replace, whereas the old (wrong) way, took hours.:

GM Transmission Seal Removal and Installation Tool: http://www.amazon.com/Schley-SCH96480-T ... B000FN4A5I

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be adding another tool to the arsenal. The linkage was scaring me a little. Didn't want to break anything trying to get the nut off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jessescott said:
To replace that seal, you'll need to take everything off of the selector shaft - nut, shift linkage, selector switch, etc. It doesn't hurt anything to move the shaft when you remove the nut, as it all pretty much goes back together one way.

When you replace that seal, be sure to use the correct tool. I've tried removing them with a small flat head screwdriver and installing them with a socket. It takes forever that way, and you risk boogering up the aluminum housing for the seal/shaft and then you've got a worse leak.

I just replaced one in the transmission I'm putting in my Trooper, and used this tool. It took seconds to remove and replace, whereas the old (wrong) way, took hours.:

GM Transmission Seal Removal and Installation Tool: http://www.amazon.com/Schley-SCH96480-T ... B000FN4A5I
Does anyone know if this is definitely the right tool? I heard there's a short and long version. Will this one work on my truck?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That link that I posted is definitely for the right tool. You're right, there is a shorter version that doesn't work for Isuzu vehicles. That link is for the longer version, and is the exact tool that I have in hand and used for the same job last week. I've made the mistake of buying the short version in the past, and it isn't long enough to reach the seal, since our trucks have the longer selector shaft.

Amazon.com product description said:
Works with transmissions that have the neutral safety switch around the transmission shift selector which requires a longer tool to remove and replace the seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts