Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody and thanks in advance for the help but im having a little problem, (well for me its a big problem as this one is on my daily driver) but heres the problem.
I was getting a P0405 erg circuit "A" Low code right after I bought my Trooper and let it go for a while and then one day the CEL started flashing at me so I stop by the ol'Autozone to have them pull the new codes for me and what I got was a mix of codes, to rich, to lean, and random cylinder mis-fires well didnt have time to deal with the problem at the moment so I went on to work. Well a few days later I heard a high-pitched squealing sound which I thought a pulley bearing or something was makin so i sprayed them all down with WD40 (its all I had at the moment) and at first it didnt go away but after a few hours i went back out and it wasnt doing it anymore. So a few days ago I was changing a head gasket on a friends Saturn and decided to clean the tube in my ERG (because of the original P0405 code) but to my suprice my tube was clear. Then I decided to cut all the mess and just replace the EGR valve and did so. well its a long story how but in this process a very small few drops of antifreeze ended up in my cylinder number 5 coil connecter so when i tried to start it it wouldnt run only backfire and die. so i ended up drying it out with a heat gun and when i started it it ran but was very ruff and idled low and would sometimes die when switching gears. so i went to a salvage yard and got a new coil and replaced it, its still the same....SO THEN I i pulled the plugs and they looked really really work so I replaced them with BOSH platniums under the partshouse suggestion since I knew the OEM plugs were platinum anyways......well guess what it ran even worse....but it still runs fine after a certin RPM.
Well Ive been diggin around online and heard about the IMG going in these things and mine is a 2001 and im up to 97000 miles so I called the dealership and they agree that it sounds like a IMG and so I bought the gasket and I plan to change it tomarrow. The service tech at the dealership suggested the the "bearing" sound I thought I had heard days before was the IMG whisteling and maybe during all the backfireing of tring to get it started when the antifreeze was in the coil helped it go all the way and that also the misfire and too rich and too lean codes I recieved would also be related to this.
Since this all happened I have been playing around with it and I noticed that the obvisouly when you disconnect a coil while its running that cylinder dosnt fire leaving a big miss well it makes no difference when i unplug cylinder #3 coil (like its not firing anyways) but after I pulled the new plug back out you could see that it had been fired so i switched coild on 3 and 5 problem stayed....so i went back to my computer and started reading and once again I was told to look to the IMG. but these are COMPUTERS telling me this, what I wanna know is what YOU GUYS THINK!
does this sound like the IMG to you guys or does anyone else have any suggestions, and if this dosnt work where do I start looking next, and also....does anyone have a step by step of replacing the IMG I can look at or know where I can find one so I'm not doing it blind for the first time.....never had a trooper before, I've done IMG before just not on Trooper.
Any advice or help would really be great guys

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you have a 2000-2004 Isuzu, make sure you only use Denso K16PR-P11 spark plugs. The 2000-2004 engines have the GM/delphi "ion sensing" ignition system where the spark plugs are used as a sensor (when they are not firing) to measure the electrical resistance of the gasses in the combustion chamber. Other plugs may cause the ECU to register a code (misfire code: P1340). Also, it has been noted that some 00 trucks came with champion plugs from the factory, which cause knocking, due due to ion sense coils.

If you have 1998-1999, the suggested plugs are NGK or Denso or Champion double platinum plugs.

It has been suggested that bosch platinum plugs commonly cause the CEL to come on in +98 Isuzu's.

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq15

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe its a combination of both. And you should invest in the denso's. Ive had my IMG replaced, and the plugs also. And she runs pretty good now, And the only code, I get is the [email protected] gas cap code. Try the plugs first. One of the fella's on here, can tell you where to get em. I think I got mine, from rockauto.com. Or something like that. The plugs will be a lot easier, than the IMG, if your doing it yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the help I took out the Bosh plugs today and went with the denso platniums ($6 each vs. $12.99 for the iridiums) and then I pulled her in the garage and went to town replacing the IMG (myself, cause im poor) and when all was said and done she runs great again however I did notice a small hesitation when reving after I first started it up after replacing the IMG. Also the CEL is still on but I may just need to have it cleared, I dont know I had the battery disconnected for over a hour while I replaced the IMG but im gonna have the codes pulled tomarrow and then ill have them cleared....ill keep you all posted!
Thanks again
Ken

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dude, check this out. I hope that is all you gotta do.
Heres what ive done, in the six months Ive had the ol' girl.

1. tranny flush, and new plugs.
2. new timing belt.
3. new starter (x2) yes twice...
4. alignment, and balance, she wobbled. And threw a curve.
5. new battery
6. differential fluids changed
7. new drive belt
8. new PCV, and cleaned the intake
9. new img, and plenum
10.greased the driveshaft
11. replaced the tensioner, pulley, and adjuster
12. replaced rear main seal
13. new tranny filter, and seal
14. tranny cooler
15. cleaned the tranny switch
16. forgot the battery, and terminals
17. had to get a new remote for the keyless
18, is gonna be the brakes and tires.
lots of wax! and tire shine.
this thing was kinda nasty when I got it. But things have gotten a lot better since then. Starting to feel dependable again.
or at least she better.
Look out for the clunk and clink from the tranny, if its an auto.
and make sure you got a quart or two of oil in the rear door.
and a toolbox, cause you never know.......
don't forget the flashlight.
and jumpers.
and P.S.
flush the motor, with something. And give some synthetic a try.
almost eveyone on here, is suggesting Mobil1. and good filters, like WIX, or the mobil1's. And stay away from a K&N, it aint worth it.
Believe me!!!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey man, just check one thing at a time, and save your sanity. Personally,I think that my prob's are attributed to poor up-keep.
Like someone who just did'nt give a [email protected], had it before, and left me the problems. And don't think people are not having problems, with their supposedly reliable cars either. Ive heard of people having prob's with their brand new honda's and acura's. The tranny's are really crappy on the v/6's. And thats a definate "Negative"!!!!
Ive also heard that, if you aint got a oil consumption problem, than you might have a survivor! Do remember to ask questions, and make sure you have someone work on it, that knows what they are doing, if you cant for some reason. Cause if you look at these pictures on this page, you might see what I mean....

I personally love this vehicle, I know I wont get stuck, im much of anything. And it starts up on the first crank, I have reclamed some power from the tranny, as per a fix from a screw up, at a honda stealership.

Keep it man, they are nice trucks, by far.....
http://photobucket.com/albums/d175/justajason/?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I agree with Jason, these can be very reliable trucks if you maintain them properly and take care of the problems when they come up. Anything mechanical will fail eventually. Lack of proper maintenance will make it happen sooner and worse. I have the same problem as him, previous owners didnt believe in maintenance so I have been doing alot of work to mine just to get it to where it should be. Not going to post another list of what I have done since I dont feel like typing that much :roll: . If you look at the common trouble items on these they are mostly GM parts. I like chevys but I'm starting to wonder. All vehicles have common problem parts. Some have fewer then others (dont get me started on fords).

When you replaced the IMG you did torque it to the revised spec of 13 ft lbs didnt you? I beleive the old spec was 18 ft lbs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
as far as I know, they did... THey replaced the plenum at the same time. I took the specs to the tech at the honda stealership, They gave the best quote for the labor.
I will tell you, that all the things, I ve done. Have made a diffrence with how it run's and drives. I just wonder if its all going to be worth it. My main thing, is to make it last. They dont make em, anymore. And I wanna take care of it. I've noticed that everyone that drives a trooper, seems to wave at me, as I drive by, must be like one of those unspoken clubs....Hehe

Anyway. Just see the things that are needed in these trucks, and replace them in accordance with importance. The plugs are the first thing that need to go, as well as the tranny maintanance!!!!!! Make sure that you do the tranny filter, and gasket and flush the tranny first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.