Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There are about a dozen Troopers that I know are supercharged, there are a few that are turbocharged. More than a few of these engine where supercharged for aircraft use. All aircraft used a Alpine (Eaton) supercharger. while most Troopers uesd the same Alpine suppercharger as the aircraft engine, many used a 4-71 Detroit Diesel blower. Honestly I prefer the 71 series blowers over all others for quality and availability reasons. Its very difficult to find the Alpine supercharges and the intake. There are no kits to buy so if you do supercharge/turbo will need to scratch build the entire system. Its a very time consuming & expensive project which yields minimal power gain. Dropping in a V8 is by far more cost-effective and will yield much much more power.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Never heard of the other supercharger Shawn, can you elaborate on where people are sourcing them? Just for info sake if nothing else?

As for the Alpine kit, it seems like one could get the appropriate Eaton supercharger and the difficult part would be custom modifying the intake manifold to fit the blower? Simple in concept, but probably not exactly easy. Is that about the gist of it?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Enemigo said:
Never heard of the other supercharger Shawn, can you elaborate on where people are sourcing them? Just for info sake if nothing else?

As for the Alpine kit, it seems like one could get the appropriate Eaton supercharger and the difficult part would be custom modifying the intake manifold to fit the blower? Simple in concept, but probably not exactly easy. Is that about the gist of it?
its a 4-71 Detroit blower. comes form the best 2 stroke diesel engines ever made a Detroit Diesel

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
It's a "Roots" type blower (supercharger). The 4-71 is a little over 280 CID, so this is probably the smallest available.
https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel-pa ... built.html

It seems like someone here adapted a GM Blower from am Olds Aurora some time back. Regardless, as Shawn mentioned, a LOT of fabrication will be required. Dennis

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 6DV1 can safely handle up to 10 pound of boost safely.
I'm currently running a Magnuson MP90 supercharger on a copy of the Alpine intake manifold.
I have a maximum of 8psi being produced and have done 50,000 miles in 5 years trouble few.
But I agree with Shawn Anthony if you want more power a V8 is much cheaper and easier to do and set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.