Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've given several shops a call on getting the power steering flushed but none of them can flush using ATF. Atleast they are not willing to due to contamination to their machine. The ATF is pretty much black so it's time I did something my self. It seems like my only choice is to disconnect one of the hoses at the resavour, the exit hose to be exact, and turn the engine with the fuel pump fuse out to get the pump going and have it push the fluid out as new fluid is poured in. However I have a feeling this is going to make a huge mess. I looked all over the power steering unit and I couldnt find any kind of drain valve. Does one exist? If I can just drain it then fill it up, it would be so much easier and cleaner. Any alternative ideas?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Don't do that. That will make a huge mess. I sucked out the fluid from the fill bottle. That got rid of most then filled it again and then repeated . Mine looks red now

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loopedr1 said:
Don't do that. That will make a huge mess. I sucked out the fluid from the fill bottle. That got rid of most then filled it again and then repeated . Mine looks red now
I thought about doing that but I felt like this would use up a lot of ATF, hence an ineffecient process. But if it's doing it a few times then it's not too bad. I'll try this. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i used a turkey baster, pulled the old fluid out, put new fluid in, drove for a day or so, repeat the process till it was nice and clean, i only used about 2 quarts

·
Registered
894 Posts
I did the hose disconnect method once and didn't make much of a mess. However it seems much easier to just turkey baster out the reservoir.

FWIW, on my 99 Trooper you can pop out the internal basket screen fairly easily with a pair of needle nose pliers to get a grip. Kind of a gently pull and twist motion does it. Once out you can clean off the screen. You can also get deeper into the reservoir with the baster once the basket is out.

Every 6 months of so I do a couple of empty, refill, run the pump for a very short time (i.e. try not to let the new fluid fully mix with the old so as to remove mostly old fluid), stop and repeat cycles. That tends to keep the fluid looking nice.
I

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was under the impression the basket was built part of the resavour. But I will do this as well! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Would exchanging old for fresh DEX3 on a vehicle that has never had a power steering service, have the same effect as in a transmission?
Like crap coming loose and clogging something, or flush out crud that is holding some seal together?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well they say don't flush it using the pressurized machines.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Ah, I was thinking more about ATF's detergent properties and it cleaning up a neglected system.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Dae said:
Ah, I was thinking more about ATF's detergent properties and it cleaning up a neglected system.
I think the concern with a ATF flush on a older or neglected transmission is that you're going to stir up old worn material, which in turn will damage your transmission clutches. As far as I know the power steering system is just a pump, and when compared to a transmission it has very few if any parts that will wear. I wouldn't be concerned with damaging a PS pump by changing out the fluid.

FWIW I did this on my nissan using a turkey baster. Pulled out all the fluid from the reservoir and topped it up. I repeated that a few times over the week and my fluid looks good as new. Much cleaner, much easier, used about $11 in ATF fluid bought from the dealership.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I did mine a few weeks ago. My fluid was still nice and red even though I neglected it, cause I wanted to flush it properly but never got the chance.
I was also concerned with the new oil causing a leak, like how synthetic engine oil can "clean" up gunk that holds old seals together.

So far its good. And turning feels a little better. No more steering noises.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I'm running out of patience here. I'm going with the turkey baster method due to it's ease, but it's taking forever and the fluid is still black. I will admit, it is slightly lighter, but it's still very dark. Is it possible to remove the cup inside the resavour? I pulled, I turned in both directions, I plulled and turned at the same time. Not sure what else to try without breaking it. I feel like if I take it out I'd be able to take out double as much, thus getting me results faster.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Are you talking about the plastic piece with the screen on it?, if so do as tomster said and use needle nose pliers.
You need to carefully squeeze the opposite ends and twist and pull up. If you look at the reservoir with a flashlight you can see the tabs that fit the screen in place.

Or you could always just disconnect the return hose and catch the old fluid out that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts