Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this trooper I'm working on for someone originally thinking the timing was off but thinking it's correct timing belt and wp was done by someone else checked fuel it does have pressure when I push on the valve on the fuel rail has spark took out a coil and saw spark noticed that a puff of smoke comes from the intake upon first attempt to start also the check engine light isn't on when I turn the key maybe a blown bulb every other light comes on its 4wd btw I know it's air fuel and spark the main things to change eliminated 2 so far

·
Registered
868 Posts
Test the fuel pressure at the motor with an actual gauge, you need 40 PSI minimum for it to run. Hopefully someone else hasn't hacked anything up to keep the CEL off.

·
Registered
868 Posts
On a 2000 model the fuel pump should prime the motor as soon as you turn the ignition on, meaning you don't need to actively be cranking it to get your fuel pressure reading. You can rent a gauge setup (for free) at almost any auto parts store if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You should probably find out why you have no MIL on when Key On Engine Off.

The "meter" fuse is the fuse for the MIL. Check to make sure it is good, but it should be since you said the other lights come on. It powers the other lights too, so it should be good.

Take note of this comment in the provided extract from the manual for no MIL:

"If the engine cranks but will not run, check for an open PCM ignition or battery feed, or a poor PCM to engine ground."

Step 6 in the chart:

"Check the PCM ignition feed and battery feed fuses (15 A engine fuse and 15 A PCM fuse)."

Perform the checks provided and fix the MIL first.
Since someone messed with the cam timing the engine may not start because of an incorrect cam timing rather than a faulty PCM. So run through the checks for the MIL, but if you get to the point of "replace the PCM" I would not do that until I have verified the cam timing is correct and tested EVERYTHING. Replacing the PCM would be the LAST option prior to crushing it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the pump activate when when the engine is turning over
When I turn the key and have the valve on the fuel rail pushed fuel come out so I'm assuming the pump is working
You should probably find out why you have no MIL on when Key On Engine Off.

The "meter" fuse is the fuse for the MIL. Check to make sure it is good, but it should be since you said the other lights come on. It powers the other lights too, so it should be good.

Take note of this comment in the provided extract from the manual for no MIL:

"If the engine cranks but will not run, check for an open PCM ignition or battery feed, or a poor PCM to engine ground."

Step 6 in the chart:

"Check the PCM ignition feed and battery feed fuses (15 A engine fuse and 15 A PCM fuse)."

Perform the checks provided and fix the MIL first.
Since someone messed with the cam timing the engine may not start because of an incorrect cam timing rather than a faulty PCM. So run through the checks for the MIL, but if you get to the point of "replace the PCM" I would not do that until I have verified the cam timing is correct and tested EVERYTHING. Replacing the PCM would be the LAST option prior to crushing it. :)
Now is this the correct timing mark to go by when lining up
Automotive tire Wheel Crankset Gear Wood

1 - 15 of 15 Posts