Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2000 Rodeo Automatic 4x4 that I just bought a little over a week ago. I had the two front CV joints replaced due to clicking in 4WD when turning. Everything seemed fine until a couple of days ago. I noticed a noise that sounded like a knobby tire on pavement sound. I thought it was a flat tire but they're all ok. Also, going above 60 on the freeway the steering will get real squirly all of the sudden and it is SCARY.

I had no idea what was wrong so to troubleshoot, I switched to 4WD high while driving and the sound and weirdness was GONE. I switch back to 2WD and it is instantly back. I've gone back and forth and it is consistent.

Any ideas where to start or suggestions as to what is wrong?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!!

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
extremely scary I'd imagine.....I had a similar issue that was developing over time, turned out to be my steering gear box was shot....but you have a rack & pinion, not a gear box and the feeling would be the same in 2wd or 4wd.

Was this an issue before the CV's were replaced?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Unless you have manual hubs the clicking should have been there in 2 or 4 wheel drive if the CV joints were bad. If you had the workd done at a shop, take it back. They screwed something up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas. So I took it to Firestone and they pretty much ruled out a bearing issue. They were going that route until I told them it seems better in 4wd and they tested that for themselves. They also think it should switch from 4 to 2 faster than the 5 seconds or so it takes. So, they think it may be a problem with or within the transfer case. They told me to go to a dealer or full svc shop. Anyone have other ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...another weird thing is that if I put it in Neutral (it's an automatic remember) it still has the issue in 2wd, but not in neutral in 4wd. I could also describe the sound/feel as a rubbing kind of noise.

What could this be?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Still need to know if this problem existed BEFORE the new CV axles, if it became a problem after the new axles take it back to whom ever did the work.

If it's been an on going issue, I'd take it to an actual mechanic shop, not firestone, they only specialize in minor problems.

I'd also be contacting the previous owner if this truck was just recently bought and get all the info you can....something's not right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem was not there before last Thursday. I had it for about a week and a half after I got the CV joints replaced and it was fine. Just to summarize the issue:

2000 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 w/automatic transmission, 94k miles:

Problem: Rubbing/grinding sound (more rubbing) and you can lightly feel it when driving. Has a very slight rotational sound to it but not like wheel RPMs, more like every second regardless of speed.

HAPPENS WHEN: in 2WD, while rolling only, whether in drive or neutral

DOES NOT HAPPEN: in 4WD at all, when idle/not rolling in 2WD or 4WD

THANKS for all of the ideas and help so far!

P.S. Is it OK to drive in 4WD all of the time? Also, is there a 4WD max speed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts