Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO YOU NEED A SPECIAL TOOL TO REMOVE THE ACCUMULATOR COVER ON THE 4L30E TRANNY IF SO WHERE CAN I GET ONE ? MINE HAS A LEAK HAVE THE PART NEED INFO NOW . THANKS TO ALL IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Just be sure to use a dedicated pair of one-size doesn't fit all snap ring pliers.

I've seen those Pep Boy's snap ring pliers sets with all the replacement tips that really mess up a job and make it much more expensive.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The answer is no.

When I did mine, I removed the snap ring and pried the plug out. It was a bit stubborn so I ended up driving a screw driver through it and "prying it out"...... Putting it back in was a bit of a pain because you almost need a 3rd arm. What I did was use a socket and a bunch of extensions that went to my tire. I turned the tire and locked the steering column to hold the piece in while I put the snap ring back in. Kinda hillbilly but it worked. :wink: No more leaky!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input to all

heres how i did mine took a piece of threaded rod and coupling ground it to fit in a 1/4" drive 14mm socketdrive put the socket in the center of the cover tapped the threaded rod tight against the frame to help push on the cover didnt move much just enough it took enough pressure off to remove the snap ring and yes a new pair of pliers were bought to do the job mini lock ring pliers work the best . the cover was frozen in the bore and came out in two pieces i unfortunately scratched the bore in removing the second piece so i took some steel wool and buffed out as much as i could install new cover ,snap ring,and no leaks ,this sounds simple but it was a pain in the butt . then after i cleaned everything up moved the rodeo i found a rubber washer for lack lack of a better description that i did not see come out when i removed the spring and cover . does this washer belong below the spring at the bottom of the bore ? will it affect the tranny in any way ? right now it seems fine

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've only seen that buffer washer a few times and I thought they'd all be gone by now. Hopefully no-one was playing games and though adding one was a good idea as I don't really remember them in Isuzus, but they were in the Lincoln units behind the Mercedes Benz diesel engines they had for a short while.

Remember the Lincolns with diesels? Not too many do.

That rubber washer usually sits at the bottom of the piston-accumulator bore to keep the spring from making a creaking noise when the accumulator is energized.

I don't know what the designers were thinking as I've never heard a spring creak but Lincoln even used GM Frigidaire Axial AC systems on their cars to keep the York/Tecumseh clanking noise down on their luxury cars, so anything's possible for Lincoln.

The washer has a minimal amount of spring tension/length calibration, and I've never put them back because by the time I usually saw them, they were disintegrating anyway.

Hopefully, we is talkin' apples and apples here. You may have something totally off the wall too. There's that too, ya know?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks surfer
by what you say i dont have to worry about the washer and i wont be able to hear any noise cause my daughter drives the rodeo but ill let everyone know if she says something about it saved the washer just in case`probably not a prank no body else was interested in hanging with me while i did the fix

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
stunami said:
thanks surfer
by what you say i dont have to worry about the washer and i wont be able to hear any noise cause my daughter drives the rodeo but ill let everyone know if she says something about it saved the washer just in case`probably not a prank no body else was interested in hanging with me while i did the fix
Well - I've seen these left out, new inside a rebuilt and even there or not there from the factory - so I'd say you're in fat city with leaving it out.

Just remember that if we don't hang together, then we hang alone.

I used to like to drive Ol' Fat Bob crazy at a shop I worked at. He thought he was THEEEEE greatest transmission rebuilder, in Laura Scudders but he had close to an 80% comeback rate so it didn't float my boat.

I'd toss one or two extra check balls into his valve body parts just to watch him sweat.

He was fat and he already knew how to sweat - but it seems to double when I did that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts