Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Our 2000 Rodeo, 120,000 miles, 3.2 6 cylinder has been a good soldier. We may take it to another state and leave it to be our car when we come to town to visit. Therefore, it will be away from my tools where I can do the required maintenance that I've done up to now since we've owned it from new. Biggest job I've done on it is the timing belt and associated pulleys back around 70K. So, I would like to do a bunch of preventative maintenance that will hopefully ensure another 60K or so miles. Here's what I am thinking:

Timing belt, pulleys and water pump. Looking at a kit from Mizumo Auto parts on Ebay that has all of these parts. Anybody with experiences from these guys?

Replace radiator, hoses and thermostat. Currently all of these parts are original. Anyone with a good source for the radiator?

Since break in, car has run synthetic oil. I was neglectful of the transmission fluid and filter up to 100k. Now I replace the trans fluid and synthetic oil every 15K with an oil filter change every 3-4K.

How does this plan sound to you knowledgeable Isuzu types? What other things would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about all that, keeping the battery charged will probably be your biggest problem if any.

My Rodeo sits months on end due to my career (military), and it always runs with no problems, but we all know that letting a vehicle sit is the worst thing for it. Some of us don't have a choice.

If I were you I would just change the oil and park it.

Like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not thought about the battery. I may put a battery disconnect on it.

Part of the current story is a very slow static leak of radiator fluid. I think this is the water pump giving me some advanced notice. I thought I would replace it and do the new timing belt at the same time. I've gathered from this forum that I am over the normal life span for a radiator so that is why I will throw it into the mix.

I think with this preventative maintenance, the Rodeo ought to be good for another 60K. Just wondering if there were other trouble spots folks have seen, power steering, air conditioner, etc????? Thanks for the idea of the battery disconnect.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Having a battery disconnect is a good idea for two reasons. It prevents the battery from slowly being discharged by the voltage regulator which is powered all the time and since there is no fusible link between the battery and starting motor it is a good idea to have an Off /On switch besides the solenoid contacts in case the contacts stick in the closed position.

They also sell solar powered battery maintainers for a reasonable price.

If the radiator is original I would replace it and the hoses, a two hundred dollar radiator is worth 5 times that price when you are stuck on the interstate a hundred miles from home. Replacing the thermostat is too hard, you have to remove the intake manifold. If the timing belt only has 50K on it is good for another 50K least.

What brand synthetic AFT are you using and how is the shifting quality of the transmission?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, didn't realize that the thermostat was buried like that.

Transmission story is that I never checked it and there never was a problem until we started getting the occasional shudder at about 110K. I never worried about it because there were no leaks on the driveway and everything worked OK. The shuddering prompted me to research here. I dropped the pan and cleaned it, replaced the filter and put in the Castrol for Dexron III older cars that a few recommended here. Everything was fine then after 10K, mild shuddering again and I checked the level to find it low and I topped it off. I am now getting proficient at checking and filling so I do that more often now. And, as I said before, will tie a trans fluid and filter change to the engine synthetic oil change every 15K. Never have had any problems with the shifting. I think it has a slight dynamic leak as the only evidence of oilly residue is on the undercarriage aft of the transmission.

You mention $200 for a radiator. I see some in the $60 range on Ebay. Are they trash?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I got one on eBay for about $100, it was a Koyo brand. They make or have made OEM units for Toyota so I figured they would be good.
The fit was perfect and installation was very easy. I read up on some other "cheaper" brands like Spectra and another one I cant recall and it looked like a hit or miss with the quality.

Radiatorbarn makes an all metal radiator for our Isuzu's.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
An all metal radiator is around 200, I have one from Radiator Barn, I would not use a plastic tank radiator. They may be OK but I am old school. The transmission can leak fluid around the accumulator cover located on the right side of the transmission case, It is replaceable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm "old school" also. However, I've come to accept the new design aluminum and plastic units and just assume that it is sort of a consumable that you may expect to get about a decade out of.

Thanks to all for the inputs.

Darn trans is shuddering again. Someone recommended some Lucas treatment. Feelings about that? Anyone else losing tranny fluid with no static leaks showing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts