Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed my rear driver bearing seal was leaking. I checked the axle breather hose, it had some pressure built up in it due to a fouled and clogged breather vent.

I was told that I could just route a hose far up and not worry about it. I decided to give this Toyota part a try and low and behold it mounts just fine and has a perfect seal. I thought I would share it here for everyone
Automotive tire Wood Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Bumper
Font Data storage device Rectangle Gas Electronic device
Hand Fluid Wood Finger Gas

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is good to know. What about that hose fitting there in the picture?
BTW, on a 2000-mile road trip a while back, my rear pinion seal started leaking badly. I went to a shop in a small town in Nevada, and he told me the seal and bearing was shot, and I would have to go to Las Vegas to have it replaced. (He could not do it and had no parts). Cost me $160 for this diagnosis and to have the diff refilled. Laying in bed at the hotel room that night, I remembered reading something about a plugged up vent. Next morning I checked it and sure enough, that is what it was. I removed the vent and ran a hose up to behind the spare tire. The leak stopped, and it has been over a year now with no problems. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is good to know. What about that hose fitting there in the picture?
BTW, on a 2000-mile road trip a while back, my rear pinion seal started leaking badly. I went to a shop in a small town in Nevada, and he told me the seal and bearing was shot, and I would have to go to Las Vegas to have it replaced. (He could not do it and had no parts). Cost me $160 for this diagnosis and to have the diff refilled. Laying in bed at the hotel room that night, I remembered reading something about a plugged up vent. Next morning I checked it and sure enough, that is what it was. I removed the vent and ran a hose up to behind the spare tire. The leak stopped, and it has been over a year now with no problems. Lesson learned.
For my model 2000 Trooper the hose fitting in the picture seemed to be a fixed, and welded into that tubular cross bar. That is a familiar sounding story. I recently found a "trust worthy" mechanic who did my timing belt (ironically also didn't fill my 4l30e properly & coolant reservoir properly). He told me my rear bearing was leaking and needs to be replaced for 180$ just labor lol.

My rear differential is making the whine sound though, only when I accelerate at freeway/highway speeds. Let off the gas and no sound. If I coast no sound.

I wonder if just low/old differential fluid could possibly cause the sound.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh, I get it. The breather and hose fitting is on the cross bar and then a hose goes from there to the fitting on the diff.
I would definitely try fresh gear oil first. I hope it is that simple!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wonder if I may have this problem, as well. No leaks to be found, but when I unscrewed the fill bolt on my rear diff to check fluid level, I was surprised to hear a powerful hissing sound. Seemed like there was a lot of pressure build up in there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts