Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,344 Posts
Wishing you luck with this. Been to long since I had mine to remember these things. I do know that sensor issues usually don't result in totally shutting down the engine, just make it run crappy. There's some 5 or 6 circuits feeding info into the PCM which takes into account all the info and then sends out to the fuel and ignition circuits info for correct running. It's not usually the PCM itself but rather one or a combination of messed up info from sensors. Will take an experienced mechanic to sort this out. Try to find one with experience on Isuzu's. Hard to do now days.

·
Registered
2003 Isuzu Rodeo 2wd 2.2l 5spd, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport 4wd 3.2l Auto
7 Posts
Hey Dennis. I went out and tried to move that intake cam 90 degrees counterclockwise so that the stamped, painted arrow would be at 12 o clock with the engine at TDC, but i only made it about 45 degrees and it would not turn anymore. I put a fair amount of pressure on it to try to turn it more but not a significant amount because I do not want to bend any valves. Is this info helpful? Thank you!!
Reply to discussion #16
New on this planet myself. I’m no expert. I own an ’03 Rodeo 2.2l, and did this timing belt change several years ago. You have the cam marks in the right place, but your cam may still be out of position.
Moving that cam 90 degrees while installed will cause a collision on one of your cylinders, being an interference engine. If out of position, the cam will need to be removed and reinstalled in the correct position.
Take a look at that link Dennis sent you, particularly related to the cam index pin positions. Page 5, figure 3 shows the pins on the end of the cams. Page 10, figure 7 shows the different positions for those pins to be placed in the sprocket depending on whether it is an exhaust or intake cam. One or both of those pins being in the wrong position is my bet for your timing issue. The PO may have messed up the pin positions and now its hidden.
You would need to remove the cam sprockets to check this, or at least the bolts holding the sprockets on. The index pins may be visible under those washers. There is a hex on the cam within the valve cover that can be wrenched on to counter the rotation of the sprocket while removing the bolt.
Apologize for jumping in. I just think Dennis had the answer, and you missed the pin info in the link. I never knew the pins were there, but I also never removed my cams or sprockets.
The 2.2l is pretty underpowered and it eats oil, but with the 5spd, it’s been very reliable and fun.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 Isuzu Rodeo 5spd 2wd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Reply to discussion #16
New on this planet myself. I’m no expert. I own an ’03 Rodeo 2.2l, and did this timing belt change several years ago. You have the cam marks in the right place, but your cam may still be out of position.
Moving that cam 90 degrees while installed will cause a collision on one of your cylinders, being an interference engine. If out of position, the cam will need to be removed and reinstalled in the correct position.
Take a look at that link Dennis sent you, particularly related to the cam index pin positions. Page 5, figure 3 shows the pins on the end of the cams. Page 10, figure 7 shows the different positions for those pins to be placed in the sprocket depending on whether it is an exhaust or intake cam. One or both of those pins being in the wrong position is my bet for your timing issue. The PO may have messed up the pin positions and now its hidden.
You would need to remove the cam sprockets to check this, or at least the bolts holding the sprockets on. The index pins may be visible under those washers. There is a hex on the cam within the valve cover that can be wrenched on to counter the rotation of the sprocket while removing the bolt.
Apologize for jumping in. I just think Dennis had the answer, and you missed the pin info in the link. I never knew the pins were there, but I also never removed my cams or sprockets.
The 2.2l is pretty underpowered and it eats oil, but with the 5spd, it’s been very reliable and fun.
Good luck.
Hi EGOZU. Thanks for your reply! I greatly appreciate it. Sorry for reviving a (sort of) dead thread.

I had put the project on standby for a while but decided to give it another go today.

You were right, I did miss Dennis' link and I wish I wouldn't have. It was very informative. I pulled the cam sprockets off today with high hopes that the pins were set incorrectly. They weren't. I've attached a photo of where they are. I believe they're set correctly.

Darn! I really thought you guys were on to something! It would've totally made sense. On to the next idea! I thank you for your contribution to my project, though! Any other ideas are 110% welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Isuzu Rodeo 5spd 2wd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi EGOZU. Thanks for your reply! I greatly appreciate it. Sorry for reviving a (sort of) dead thread.

I had put the project on standby for a while but decided to give it another go today.

You were right, I did miss Dennis' link and I wish I wouldn't have. It was very informative. I pulled the cam sprockets off today with high hopes that the pins were set incorrectly. They weren't. I've attached a photo of where they are. I believe they're set correctly.

Darn! I really thought you guys were on to something! It would've totally made sense. On to the next idea! I thank you for your contribution to my project, though! Any other ideas are 110% welcome.

Thanks!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Crankset Wood

21 - 24 of 24 Posts