Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a noob and did my first ever head gasket replacement. My Zu is up and running now so it was a success, but I have 2 little problems I wanted some advice on.

Problem #1 - Temperature gauge does not work at all now. All of the other gauges work - just not this one. I am guessing that I might need to replace the temperature sending unit? Has anyone had these things go bad and if so, any tips on replacement?

Problem #2 - Significant lack of power. When I am getting on a highway on-ramp that is a little uphill; she really struggles with it, and she didn't used to. I checked the timing and I'm pretty sure she's not missing or anything. My thought is that perhaps the cats are clogged up after blowing all the crap through them when the gaskets blew. Is that a possibility and has anyone had that happen?

I'm talking about a 1997 Rodeo - Auto, 3.2L V6, SOHC. Thanks for any tips or advice.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Did you verify the balancer mark before you checked the ignition timing?

·
Registered
160 Posts
If the temp sensor isnt working, its going to be in a limp mode, which shows why your having power issues. Make sure you plugged in all the wires that you disconnected.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The temperature sensor for the ECM is a different beast from the sender for the gauge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - I appreciate your input. Yes I did verify the balancer mark for the timing. I used the Hayes book for mine and it actually was all pretty straight forward (I've been confused by Hayes in the past - but I don't know it may just be my ignorance of things I 'should' know).

So, the temperature sending unit is just for the gauge and would not affect the performance of the car correct?

I think I'm going to undo the cats and take it for a test spin just to see if that's the problem. I'll report back on what I find when I do it. Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated - I need it - like I said, I'm new at this stuff.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, the temp sending unit is separate from the coolant temp sensor. Check out the thread below to see a picture of where it's located. The two are right next to each other, the sensor has two wires and the sender has only a single wire.

Easiest way to replace is to undo the transmission mount at the back and then jack up the tail of the tranny. This tilts the engine away from the firewall and give you the room you need.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=15158

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tanman85 said:
Yes, the temp sending unit is separate from the coolant temp sensor. Check out the thread below to see a picture of where it's located. The two are right next to each other, the sensor has two wires and the sender has only a single wire.

Easiest way to replace is to undo the transmission mount at the back and then jack up the tail of the tranny. This tilts the engine away from the firewall and give you the room you need.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=15158
Woah - this is great info. Thanks guys! Based on the pics, this looks like about the hardest place imaginable to get to on the engine - wow. Napa has both the coolant temp switch and the temp sender switch; and they're both pretty cheap so I'll just replace them assuming I can get down there. It seems to me that I'm going to have to at least take off the upper manifold - it's really going to be in the way. I'm going to pick them up and give this a try. I'll report back. Thanks again!

·
Registered
350 Posts
You don't have to remove the intake if you unbolt the tranny mount and jack up the rear of the tranny. I replaced those same two sensors doing it that way. Sure, everything isn't right there where you can see it, but it works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update - I replaced both sensors and everything's working great! Thanks for all the help guys. I took pics and stuff too so I'll post 'em up when I have a chance - just in the event that it helps somebody else out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.