Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Trooper has the 2.8L and so far I have been pleased with it. Other than the want for more power any feedback about these motors. I installed a KN air filter the other day as I run them in all my vehicles and found a noticable change. I know GM out these power plants in many
of their vehicles. Bear with me guys I have always been a V8 guy until now.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Mike, try turning over the air cleaner lid as a cheap performance-enhancing mod. You should notice more noise but also much improved breathing. I built a dual-snorkel air cleaner which breathes great, along with a K&N filter, but is quiet as stock and retains the function of the original heated air intake.

The other mod that will really open 'er up is a freer-flowing exhaust. The stock cat and muffler are quite restrictive, not to mention the 1-7/8" exhaust tubing which is too small for a 4-cyl, let alone a V6.

2-1/4" exhaust back of the "wye" will do wonders for midrange and top end while not totally killing the low end response.

This article on the Little V6 that Could is loaded with great performance tips:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/60degreeV6/?

Here's a few more good resources for info on the 60 Deg V6:

http://forums.s-series.org/viewforum.php?f=14 (tip: check out the 'sticky' at the top of the page)

http://60degreev6.com/discussion/portal.php

And if you ever decide to treat yourself to an extra-large dollup of power, I have a collection of files on a 3.4 Camaro/Firebird engine swap that'll blow your mind!! Drop me a P.M. with your e-mail address and I'll forward the files to you.

Regarding other issues with the motor, leaky valve covers and leaky distributor O-ring are common. Cheap to fix, just a little Wrenching Time required. Also you may want to check the tightness of your intake manifold bolts, as sometimes they can work loose and this'll dump coolant into the oil. Bad for bearings!

Other foibles are broken exhaust manifold bolts; GM went metal-to-metal on the exhaust manifold-to-head joint. This may or may not have contributed to the tendency to break bolts. Worst part about this fix is just getting the interference out of the way, other than that it's not a super-$$$ fix. My old 2.8 had a few busted bolts and the manifolds never leaked anyway. Aftermarket manifold gaskets are available and I haven't heard of anyone breaking bolts after using them.

If your mileage is down a bit, try renewing the O2 sensor. O2 sensor is the standard GM single-wire one used on lots of V8's too, real cheap on eBay.

If it sounds good, has good oil pressure (30-55 psi at idle, at least 50 above idle), and isn't leaking a lot of oil, probably a darn good motor that'll run for a long time. I ran the living tar out of my old 2.8 Trooper and it's still running strong at over 160K in the hands of my folks. Gotta keep 'em in the family ya know!!

HTH & Cheers..........ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed,
Appreciate your help! Being as it only has 127k on it now and there are no leaks I hope to get long life out of it. I have one exhaust manifold bolt that is busted but no leak yet. I am definitely going to do a cat back exhaust real soon. I have noticed alot of posts on the restriction of the stock exhaust. Thanks for the tips to look forI will check them all this weekend. I just installed a new radiator this past weekend it had leaks
down on the bottom. I remember the old flip the airfilter trick and will try that as well. I did notice a marked difference with the KN filter as I have on my other vehicles. I really like the Trooper get alot of razzing from my buddies with fullsize GM and Fords but I know what capabilities the tough little 4x4 can dish out.
Thanks a bunch!
Mike!
I will PM you my e mail!

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Mike, by now you should have the files. Have Fun!............ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ed,
Got em and filed them! You are right on about me pulling the full sixe rigs out. Years ago I had a 1980 Toyota pickup 4x4 and alot of the jeep guys and full size guys in our club used to bust em calling it a rice burner and
all but guess who got stuck the least. Also tug them out all the time!
I can remember more then one late night call to go on a rescue mission
with the Toyota.
Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently own and love a 91 trooper with same engine, and a 5 spd. I'm looking at a 1990 that is in near cherry condition, except for the tranny. This 1990 has the same 2.8L engine, but also has the 4L30E 4 speed automatic tranny. Oh, and power everything. The tranny on this thing leaks like a seive between the bell housing and the transmission case. Also, driving it, it slips, struggles to gain any speed although the engine is running great, and accelerating from a stop the whole rig shudders like it's crapping razor blades or something. Do you have any advice on how big a job this would be to fix? What kind of experience have you had with your auto trans? I understand that there is a gear selector switch that when gunked up with dirt and grease, this can sometimes cause similar symptons. Another post I read mentions low alt. output or dying battery will cause similar symptoms. Also, I happened to find a recall list that mentions the tranny dipstick being to short to indicate proper fill levels, so the tendancy then is to overfill the tranny. This cause fluid to poor out an air bleeder hole, spraying on the exhaust, causing potential fire. The recall offers a new dipstick for this. Don't know if the leak issue is the same thing.

Any help, suggestions, or warnings, you can give, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bryce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.