Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I drum up some more money, I plan on purchasing a crate 3.4L Motor. My 2.8L is dying and I dread to put any more money into it. I was wondering what anyone knew of this conversion.

Also, I was thinking...if the 3.4 is essentially the same engine as a 2.8, do the 2.8L performance parts fit, specifically a stroker kit. Does anyone know where I can find some performance parts?

There's also a possibility of replacing the 2.8 with a 4.3L...wondering about your thoughts and experiences with this swap as well...

KTT

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
The 3.4 has the same stroke as a 3.1, with a larger bore. You couldn't overbore a 2.8 to 3.4 specs because the block's too thin. The 3.4 has a redesigned block which is stronger.

Also the easiest swap to do since physically it's virtually identical to the 2.8. You do have to drill holes in the 3.4 block to mount the left-side Isuzu-GM starter, but the rest of the 2.8 stuff pretty well bolts onto the 3.4.

The 4.3 would be quite a bit more work due to the fact that you'd have to replace the tranny/transfer case assy as well. And adapt motor mounts, radiator, accessories, cut driveshafts, yada yada blah blah!

A stock 3.4 has the same HP as a 4.3 but less torque. A built 3.4 has somewhere between 180-200 HP depending on the mods. Certainly plenty for the Trooper except for the most power-crazed!

My Donormaro (Camaro) 3.4 seems to have plenty of low-end, but the HT 3.4 Crate Motor has a different cam which has even more low-end torque.

I really don't think you'd be unhappy with a 3.4; I towed 2000 lbs this past summer with mine, 70 mph up I-5 in 85+ deg weather with the cruise control on, no sweat!

The 3.4 has (as do all 60 deg V6's) perfect primary balance and so is smoother than the 90 deg 4.3. Plus being lighter and almost a plug-in motor.

If you went the 4.3 route, you could use your existing 2.8's EFI system since GM was pretty well standard on their TBI setup, the sensors etc will all plug in. Providing you use TBI on the 4.3 of course. You'd need to change ECM's or the chip.

If you're interested in more info on the 3.4 swap, send me a P.M. with your e-mail address and I'll forward what I have to you.

Cheers.........ed

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed. Truthfuly, I'm somewhat content with the 2.8, but because of it's condition, I decided to see what I could do with the Trooper.

I also did some hauling two summers ago. We moved from Ohio to Texas...3000lbs 1256 miles 70mph with a 2.8...no cruise though...kinda overloaded it I think...no wonder I'm having trouble now...

As for the 4.3...being a college student, it's not work I'm afraid of, it's money...I plan to stick with a crate 3.4 unless someone can convince me otherwise...

Thanks,
KTT

·
Registered
809 Posts
hmm, I may have to look into this when my 2.8 goes

·
Registered
624 Posts
My '94 P/U came stock w/ a3.1L which is also a 60 degeree'r. I've added every known upgrade(HP and torque) available even including roller rockers and roller tip lifters. You may be able to find one in a junk yard. Put it on an engine stand and work on it when you have the money and time and still drive your truck, then just swap it when you're ready.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Talk about resurrecting an old thread!

Well, my 3.4 is still going strong, still loving it too!! We had quite a spell of winter weather a few months ago and the Ole Troop was pressed into daily service again.

Didn't miss a lick except the poor battery gave up the ghost.

Once again, many cars and Big Bucks Suv's in the ditch and Mr. Trooper just keeps on going. Gotta luv it!!! 8)

The offer still stands to whoever wants the info, I've collected quite a bit more in the past 3-4 years, too.

And this is still a great article on improving performance of The Little V6 That Could:

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/60degreeV6/

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ed i'll take you up on that offer...future reference :twisted:

PM sent btw

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, old thread is right! My 2.8 breathed it's last last month so now it's finally time to do the swap. If you could send me the information again with all the updated material, I'll send you a PM with my addy.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Alright, you got it, time to get busy eh???? :twisted:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.