Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
8) I just put a post in the thread about my 2.3L Amigo. I gotta tell ya
that this set of pics is insporational.
I've always been intigued with the "turbo" concept.
I want one of these!
Plllllease keep us posted on the result when driven. Some further pics
of the engine bay from above and below would be cool!
Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I looked through my receipts and the turbo is a GT3071WG, but I opted for the 3.0" inlet compact GT28 compressor housing on that link. I'll post a pic up of it in the engine bay later today.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm using an exhaust manifold from a turbo impulse. It is the same exact bolt pattern and will bolt up no problem. Here are the pictures I promised of the engine bay.

Reactions: 1995pickup

·
Registered
392 Posts
Very nice! Cant wait to hear how it runs.

Hmm... I wonder if that impulse turbo and manifold are still at barrys in mobile. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm pretty happy with the overall fit of the turbo in the trooper. I didn't even have to bend the dipstick. Once I get some more parts from Mr. Lemond I'll get the intake bolted up. Then I can start start on the intake and exhaust plumbing for the turbo.

·
Registered
590 Posts
wow great job. I have a ton of questions but I guess i will wait for the full write up.

one quick question though what are you going to do about tuning and how much boost?

·
Registered
198 Posts
CSWs Shopping list:
1. Turbo
2. Impulse exhaust manifold
3. ...
4. ....
Just keep posting up the details so I can finish my list and get to spending money!!

-C

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For tuning I'm going to run a DIYPNP megasquirt. I'll then custom tune it. This is the area where I'll put the most detail into the write up. And post a starter file to download, so anyone else doing this will just have to fine tune for thier particular setup.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
yenkoz28 said:
For tuning I'm going to run a DIYPNP megasquirt. I'll then custom tune it. This is the area where I'll put the most detail into the write up. And post a starter file to download, so anyone else doing this will just have to fine tune for thier particular setup.
Now that is some sick work..!!!!

please keep us posted on the Megasquirt..... im interested to see if your doing dyno gains as well...

that is some fine work..!!!!

Kudos..!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
129 Posts
what (if anything) did you do to the motor to support the turbo? Lower CR forged pistons and forged rods?

Also - where are you planning to mount IC? I would assume you will go FM, but maybe side or top mount with a bighorn hood scoop STI style?

This is a very cool project. I have a ton of questions about specifics of the setup, but will wait for the build thread. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
546 Posts
yenkoz28 said:
Nice. the GT3071 and 3076 are perfectly matched turbos for a 2.6L engine. Did you make the adapter yourself or had a machine shop whip it up for you? I have been considering doing the same thing with my Impulse build to cut fab time and costs by having to make a new manifold.

BTW, do you have any porting done to the head, or a cam?

On a factory head and cam, the most you will likely see is 260ish whp and 300+lb/ft, and all before 5500rpm. I know this for one reason. A long time ago somebody built a 2.6 Turbo pickup with a T3/60-1 (slightly larger than your turbo lol). and he pulled 256rwhp and 316lb/ft and his power dropped off HARD past 5500rpm. I will admit that he used the impulse turbo intake plenum, which is smaller (as is the matching TB) so with the 2.6 setup there should be a decent power increase.

In any case, these heads and cams stock aren't exactly high performers.

Awesome build btw. cant wait for vids of it tearing up the track.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
WOW!!!

+100 for the ESB T-shirt 8)

Eagerly awaiting the write-up. Is the Impulse manifold a 'unicorn' part? I'm going to start searching local junkyards now. I don't onw a 2.6-equiped vehicle, but I suspect lots of people will be following your lead....

·
Registered
546 Posts
The impulse manifold can still be found. If you search around on car-part.com you should get at least one hit. Be warned that these manifolds are infamous for cracking. They are old and were exposed to a lot of high heat and cycles. Im lucky with mine, it isnt cracked and I would like to re-use it. it isnt a bad design for a factory peice as it is a crude 4-1 log style. I would like to get an adapter made to fit a Mitsu TDO5 turbine or Subaru IHI. Both use round inlets like the impulse, and there are all kinds of easy turbos and options to go with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes I'm using the stock intake manifold and an AMC head, which looked to be the same as factory port wise. If I can get over 200 horse and 300 lb's of torque that will be more than enough. I'm also using a custom ground cam for a turbo application from 3tech performance. I bought the adapter from a guy on ebay that makes them. I just gave him the bolt pattern I needed and he made it for around $50 for me. I'll try to find which guy on ebay made it for me. FYI I see now a place is selling a turbo header on ebay for the 2.6L, I'm sure that would be a good way to go if you can't hunt down an impulse manifold.

Ok I went on ebay and I believe the guy who made it was http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cust ... 4340.l2559.

Here are a couple pics I snapped yesterday showing the motor in the bay with the egr delete. I basically just need to run the intake and discharge tubing for the turbo and wire in a wideband O2 controller, and I'll be done under the hood. I'm currently installing a walbro 255lph high pressure pump in the tank, which was a drop in replacement for the stock pump. Here is the link for the fuel pump, just scroll to the bottome of this link it's the FPN006 kit. http://www.autoperformanceengineering.c ... papps.html

And in this picture you can see I eliminated the factory vacuum manifold on the inner fender, which greatly simplified the vacuum routing.

And these are the injectors I used http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/asphalt-550cc-import

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That's pretty bitchin. I loved my 2.6. What are you gonna use for the fuel systom ??
Do you have an idea on hp yet and torque. Did you port and polish the head and intake??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Where in MT are you located?

21 - 40 of 246 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.