Isuzu SUV Forum banner
221 - 240 of 249 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
I agree with totten, this is a great write up. I have been working on a turbo motor for my 91. I am trying to figure out some concerns with California smog laws and your build that I really would like to do to mine. I have time right now though. It was all just back burnered as I just moved. I have to find a place to live first, little things like that.

· Registered
138 Posts
I'm glad to read your turbo is running great despite not being intercooled. keep us posted drive safe.

· Registered
70 Posts
Yenkoz28, thank you for documenting your work. Very well done! I'm goung to order the MegaSquirt and use it for a period of time before turbocharging. I will PM you for you MS files please. Two things I didn't see addressed specifically in this thread:

1- What is providing the ignition signal to the MS?
2- The MS is "DIY" requiring assembly. Did you solder the connectors to the circuitboard yourself? My only soldering experience is basic wiring. Is the job complex?

Best regards,
Chris

· Registered
58 Posts
Hey planet,

Say I was crazy and would like to turbo charge my 2.6 Trooper. What parts should I pull from a donor 2.0 turbo Impulse? Assuming the car is complete and items are worth using. I get the exaughst manifold is key for this build, but what about the turbo, plumbing, controllers (if there is a BOV, wastegate vacuum solenoid...)?

Thanks for not kicking the new guy too hard.

· Registered
250 Posts
I have an entire turbo setup I just pulled from my amigo two weeks ago. It's freshly built and upgraded... has just under 10,000 miles on it... 3 synthetic oil changes.

Some kid wrecked into my truck and totaled it....

I have it listed in for sale section, but basically 100% complete, everything you'll need to install and get running Except the fuel pump. Including a 2.5" exhaust, intercooler, hood scoop... etc etc

· Registered
500 Posts
yenkoz28

Very very nice build. Hope to see ya next year.

· Registered
1,694 Posts
YENKOZ28, Any news to report on Turbo setup,Did you intercool it or leave engine without one? Nice job . How many miles on engine now? Would like more pictures of turbo setup and of your Trooper. Trooper great in snow right now in Montana . CHEERS :D

· Registered
500 Posts
totten

I talked to yenkoz28 about a couple of weeks ago. He's got about 20 K on it know and is not running a inter cooler. It
is cruising along about 80 on the interstate with no bogging down.

I would love to have that kind of performance on one of my first gens..

Reactions: totten

· Registered
500 Posts
Yencoz28

Any up dates on your turbo Trooper . 8)

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Sorry I haven't been on the forum much lately. I have 25k on the motor now with no issues at all.

Reactions: EricJette

· Registered
70 Posts
Hello Yenkoz28! Would you be willing to share your MegaSquirt tune? It would be a great help to my RS project and it will inspire others to go with the MS ECU. This could kickstart a cooperative sub-community of Trooper owners who continue to develop, refine and improve the performance of our venerable 2.6 4ze1.

Cheers,
Chris R
[email protected]

yenkoz28 said:
Sorry I haven't been on the forum much lately. I have 25k on the motor now with no issues at all.

· Registered
70 Posts
Got it. Great stuff. Thank you!

· Registered
2,975 Posts
You might try going to the Facebook page " Isuzu 4Z Engines".
Mostly an Aussie forum and the folks there tend to some pretty radical mods with turbo setups on 4ZE1 motors in their Gemini's and Piazzas.
I'm sure if you asked what controllers they run you'll get some good input.

· Registered
4 Posts
EricJette said:
You might try going to the Facebook page " Isuzu 4Z Engines".
Mostly an Aussie forum and the folks there tend to some pretty radical mods with turbo setups on 4ZE1 motors in their Gemini's and Piazzas.
I'm sure if you asked what controllers they run you'll get some good input.
Ok thanks I'll look them up!

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
You can wire a ms2 in. It just wont plug into the factory harness like mine did.

· Registered
1 Posts
So I bought a Isuzu p-up and I was thinking about turbo charging it. And my brother brought up the impulse and said to just take everything off of the top of the motor and send the ecu to somewhere where is can get chipped for it. Where would be a good place to go and get that done and also I was having problems with finding aftermarket parts for it because I want to fully build it. I'm new here, my name is thomas. But I'm all ears to anything

· Registered
196 Posts
If you could find an impulse 86-87 turbo and all the components you are set to go. You don't need to upgrade the computer "chip" since the turbo is small and produce about 8-10 lbs of boost roughly 50 hp. There is an Impulse for sale in Minnesota for $400, been setting for a while. I believed It is in one of the Isuzu forum in Facebook. Go to planetisuzu website, there is a good article on it.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts