Isuzu SUV Forum banner
201 - 220 of 249 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
quileeky, what turbo are you using and how many lbs. of boost are you running?

· Registered
1,021 Posts
from what i understand is that as long as the tune is right you can run high boost on the 2.6 im not sure what the rule of thumb is 12#'s maybe?

sorry for the butt in...
the guy who started this thread i think is going to end up running quite bit of boost on stock in-nerds but you really need an inner cooler to run that much i believe
KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM IN NO WAY ANYONE TO ASK A QUESTION ON ANYTHING TO DO WITH A TURBO

· Registered
1,021 Posts
if anyone has any ideas other than stand alone computer please let the rest of us know im trying to do my turbo on as cheap as possible not because i have to but so i can post all the info up on here
yenko done a great job on his info i wanna do it for the cheap a$$es like me

· Registered
1,491 Posts
That just surprised me because I heard a few times that 8 psi was the "magic number". Although, like you said, this probably refers to a non-intercooled system.

Come to think of it, the impulse probably is higher than 8 psi right? And as far as I know it shares the same bottom end as the 2.6

· Registered
13,634 Posts
I bet the fic that I'm running would be a breeze to control an early ecu, timing, fuel, A and B analog channels ... That forged crank is stout , I'm not to sure about the pistons ...

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys im running 8 psi on a pretty poor tune in my opinion, my goal is for 10-12 psi stock internals and a fmic. I have read somewhere that the stock pistons tend to melt right around 14-15 psi, good luck with your builds.

· Registered
138 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
dryvr12 said:
Quileeky said:
A t2/t3 garret and maximum 14lps psi.
14psi on stock internals? :shock:
I ran mine at 12.5 regularly with a few forays at 14 - 15. With no intercooler, but a water injection system & running the best premium fuel I could get. This was also my daily driver at the time. My biggest problem was detonation due to no intercooler & poor tuning abilities (just using a rising rate FPR & a boost timing retard). The water was needed for anything over about 7 or 8 psi IIRC.

The stock internals on the 2.6 are pretty massive I think. Early heads might be the weak spot. But, if you intercool it & can get your tuning spot on I really think you could run without the water at 14 psi quite happily. You just HAVE to keep it out of detonation & don't run lean where things start to melt. Same for any turbo app.

Water injection is a nice safety net but it was necessary for me. I never got to using MegaSquirt until after my 3800 engine swap, so unfortunately I never got to test proper tuning with the turbo out. And without that, I never bothered with mounting an IC as I had plans for the engine swap anyways...

--Dan

· Registered
5,227 Posts
houlster said:
dryvr12 said:
Quileeky said:
A t2/t3 garret and maximum 14lps psi.
14psi on stock internals? :shock:
I ran mine at 12.5 regularly with a few forays at 14 - 15. With no intercooler, but a water injection system & running the best premium fuel I could get. This was also my daily driver at the time. My biggest problem was detonation due to no intercooler & poor tuning abilities (just using a rising rate FPR & a boost timing retard). The water was needed for anything over about 7 or 8 psi IIRC.

The stock internals on the 2.6 are pretty massive I think. Early heads might be the weak spot. But, if you intercool it & can get your tuning spot on I really think you could run without the water at 14 psi quite happily. You just HAVE to keep it out of detonation & don't run lean where things start to melt. Same for any turbo app.

Water injection is a nice safety net but it was necessary for me. I never got to using MegaSquirt until after my 3800 engine swap, so unfortunately I never got to test proper tuning with the turbo out. And without that, I never bothered with mounting an IC as I had plans for the engine swap anyways...

--Dan
HEY DAN , GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK, BEEN A WHILE, POP UP A LITTLE MORE OFTEN, JERRY

· Registered
1,021 Posts
I agree , with Mr Lemomd Dan I read your entire site several times it is quite informative I've kinda been thinking about throwing the turbo and bigger injectors with some kind of fuel reg. and see what happens

· Registered
250 Posts
Awesome.

I run mine about 6 lbs, No intercooler... though I'm investigating running a small water intercooler directly inline, above the valve cover.

However my FMU is just a junk Vortec unit. What garbarge. I'm moving to california in two weeks, and kinda just delaying buying the BEGI unit...

Sigh. I also seem to be getting valve float on my stock valves with my Delta 260 cam. I think this is due to 175,000 miles on the clock. Meh.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
I never have had a chance to put an intercooler on it, but I am very happy with the power output. I can cruise 80mph all day long, and never need to downshift on hills. I used an exhaust manifold coating on them from eastwood, it has held up very well and still looks good.

· Registered
1,694 Posts
Nice write up of Information for turbo members builders!! :D

201 - 220 of 249 Posts