Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
What a tease. That's it?? C'mon, man, give us more. That's a beauty of an engine!

yenkoz28 said:
Ok so a few wanted some pictures of my build. I was busy last night dropping the motor into the trooper, but here are a few pics of it before I did. I'll do a writeup of everything I did once it's running. Hopefully in a month or two.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Did you have to modify the dipstick?

What's the plug in the back of the exhaust manifold for? EGR tube?

yenkoz28 said:
Ok so a few wanted some pictures of my build. I was busy last night dropping the motor into the trooper, but here are a few pics of it before I did. I'll do a writeup of everything I did once it's running. Hopefully in a month or two.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've been following this subject and am very impressed. However, for ignant folks like me, I have no idea what a wastegate is, nor do I know what tial bov or oil coking is.
Care to illuminate me, or is this thread not for the un-educated? Humor me, I'm a dope.

yenkoz28 said:
Ok here goes on your questions:
1. By linkage I take it you mean the wastegate? If so I'm running a garret GT3071 with a internal wategate, so I didn't need to run any linkage.

2. When I was rebuilding the motor I cleaned up the oil pan real well drilled a hole and took it to a guy to weld an aluminum bung on it.

3. For the coolant I used the same route for the coolant to the block. I had to drill a hole in a new radiator and braze a brass fitting on it to run the coolant to the radiator. The trick here is you need to do it so that the coolant goes from the turbo to the radiator and right back into the waterpump suction and not through the radiator fins. Otherwise your motor would tend to run to cool in the winter and not warm up.

4. No this isn't a daily driver, so I won't mind letting it idle for a minute before I shut it off. I'll just have to get in the habbit of remembering lol.

5. I'm using a tial bov off of the discharge of the turbo. My intake tubing isn't done yet (last thing to do) and then you'll see it in the pictures.

6. For now I have a 7psi wastegate and won't be running an intercooler, which will be safe at the 8.2:1 compression this motor makes. But next year I do plan on going 1st gen trooper turbo diesel style for the intercooler. I'll build a bracket to mount it above the valve cover and already bought the fiberglass reproduction hood scoop sold here on this forum and will make it functional. Then I'll put the 15psi wategate on the turbo once the intercooler is on. I also figured it would be safer to get my tune right on the motor while only making 7psi of boost.

And thanks, yeah the divorce sucked I wouldn't wish one on anyone. But the kids and I came out well and recovred just fine :)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Okay then. Thanks for the explanation.

yenkoz28 said:
A wastegate on a turbo is a valve that opens to bypass exhaust gases around the turbo to slow it's impeller speed down. A bov or blow off valve is a valve on the discharge of the turbo that opens when you close the throttle. This prevents compressor surge and ensures the turbo lives a long happy life. Oil coking happens when the car is shut off immediately after parking the hot exhaust gases will heat the oil up in the turbo's bearings and it will coke and lead to shorter bearing life. If you let it idle for a minute the exhaust gases cool off then you can shut the car off helping to prevent the oil coking up in the bearings. If you want to know more about turbochargers I would go to book store or look online for a book. There are several good books on how turbo's work.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Wow!!!! Very very nice. High quality. All that and A/C too!

What's the doodad mounted on the firewall with the orange plug?

Excellent stainless work. What is the black material that connects the stainless intake pipe to the throttle body?

yenkoz28 said:
Other than a little tuning I'm done with the trooper. I can say that while I don't know what a stock one is like, this vehicle is running perfect. Here is a picture of the finished product, and I'll have a write up done in a few weeks on everything.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Normal silicone. Humor me and please elaborate. Silicone hose? How did you get it to make the curve/bend from the throttle body to the stainless pipe?

yenkoz28 said:
Yep R12 a/c too boot, so it's nice and cold even on a 100 degree day. The doodad on the firewall with the orange plug is a GM 3 bar map sensor, which replaced the factory MAF sensor on the air filter box. The black material is just normal silicone.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Pulls hard to 6000 rpm!!!!??? Holy smokes. My 2.6 sounds like it's going to explode if I take it to 4 grand. Can the 2.6 really rev that high?
Sorry for the thread jack.
Jay

yenkoz28 said:
I'm not sure what my milage is, since my speedo is off a bit. I'm estimating around 15mpg around town, but that could be off. I'm in the process of installing the 4.77 gears and that should make the speedo only a few percent off. The hard part is staying out of the gas, that turbo sounds nice when spooling up. At 2500 rpm she starts coming alive and by 3000 rpm it's screeming. And it pulls hard all the way up to 6000 rpm. At 75mph in 5th gear I haven't hit a hill or mountain pass I have to shift down for yet.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Wow. Impressive. My RS, stock 2.6 with 225K on the engine and 4:77's is happy at about 3000 rpm in every gear. On the freeway at 3000 rpm and about 65 mph the little 2.6 will cruise all day long. When I have to rebuild the engine I'll consider balancing the engine. It's gotta help.

yenkoz28 said:
Yeah I can run it at 4k no problem and it zips right up to the rev limiter at 6k. It's nice and smooth, maybe because I had it balanced. Thats where it sucks, because I bought it with a blown head gasket. So I never drove it stock and have no idea what it was like stock.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It's been a while since I did this on an engine, but basically you (the machine shop) take all the internal parts, crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, everything that rotates or moves, and balancing that movement. As a result, the engine revs higher, smoother (is that a word?), and easier. Back in the day, I did this to my VW bug with a 1600 engine, and oh my, the difference was startling. I could outrun Porsche's in the twisties. I think it's well worth the investment. The factories are just cranking out the parts. They don't really care about the nuances.
Jay

nfpgasmask said:
OK, what exactly is "balancing" an engine?

Bart

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Dang dude, you are a sleeper here on the planet. At least to me. How did you sneak by us with all the juicy yummy upgrades you have done to your Troop?

4:77's! (donor vehicle?)
terra low tcase gears
2.6L turbo
aussie lockers?

Not to mention a beautiful garage kept Trooper! When did all this happen? Did you take photos of all your upgrades and changes? I want to know what you know.

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention. Your Trooper and your efforts are one class act! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jay

yenkoz28 said:
Yeah I can run it at 4k no problem and it zips right up to the rev limiter at 6k. It's nice and smooth, maybe because I had it balanced. Thats where it sucks, because I bought it with a blown head gasket. So I never drove it stock and have no idea what it was like stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts