Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
You know, i was going to ask about the IHI, but then i looked again and saw that adapter plate. NVM

I see a garrett stamping on there. What turbo did you go with? T3 60 Trim?

·
Registered
546 Posts
yenkoz28 said:
Nice. the GT3071 and 3076 are perfectly matched turbos for a 2.6L engine. Did you make the adapter yourself or had a machine shop whip it up for you? I have been considering doing the same thing with my Impulse build to cut fab time and costs by having to make a new manifold.

BTW, do you have any porting done to the head, or a cam?

On a factory head and cam, the most you will likely see is 260ish whp and 300+lb/ft, and all before 5500rpm. I know this for one reason. A long time ago somebody built a 2.6 Turbo pickup with a T3/60-1 (slightly larger than your turbo lol). and he pulled 256rwhp and 316lb/ft and his power dropped off HARD past 5500rpm. I will admit that he used the impulse turbo intake plenum, which is smaller (as is the matching TB) so with the 2.6 setup there should be a decent power increase.

In any case, these heads and cams stock aren't exactly high performers.

Awesome build btw. cant wait for vids of it tearing up the track.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The impulse manifold can still be found. If you search around on car-part.com you should get at least one hit. Be warned that these manifolds are infamous for cracking. They are old and were exposed to a lot of high heat and cycles. Im lucky with mine, it isnt cracked and I would like to re-use it. it isnt a bad design for a factory peice as it is a crude 4-1 log style. I would like to get an adapter made to fit a Mitsu TDO5 turbine or Subaru IHI. Both use round inlets like the impulse, and there are all kinds of easy turbos and options to go with.

·
Registered
546 Posts
What turbo is best for our application depends on too many factors to really bother with.

On a completely bone stock 2.6 long block (unported head and stock cam), anything bigger than a T3 60 trim (or equivalent size) is just a waste of turbo for anything pump gasor daily driver (aka up to about 18psi). The head doesn't flow enough, especially combined with the stock cam profile, to really justify anything larger. Porting the head alone opens up a lot of airflow, and I think we all know just how wimpy the stock cam grinds are. Take care of one or the other... or both, and then you can really step up to something bigger.

A good performance match for up to around 18-24psi is a T3/TO4E 50 Trim. Beyond that, the sky is the limit. I have a Borg Warner 7670 EFR with a divided 1.05A/R T4 turbine that I have matched for my goals of 30-35psi with a strong powerband up to 7500-8000 with a fully ported head and rather aggressive cam profile.

If interested I have a bunch of compressor maps that I have mapped out with demand lines that could be posted up. It helps give a good idea of what different compressors will be like with a 2.6

·
Registered
546 Posts
fastguy1955 said:
I was looking at a turbo from an Subaru WRX for my trooper, any feedback on that choice?
For the most part, most factory Subaru WRX and STi turbos would be fine for a stock long block and low boost. How it behaves depends on which compressor it has.

·
Registered
546 Posts
fastguy1955 said:
Impulse: Which of the Subaru turbos would be best for a relatively low boost stock engine being used for off road purposes. Looking for low end response at the expense of total power.

Thanks!
Mark
I'd really rather not thread jack with turbo discussions. If you want a good small fast responsive turbo then a factory impulse IHI RHB-5 (my cars stock turbo) would definitely do it. It would only support very low boost and not breathe well up top, but it would make crazy low end power. For something comparable to the TDO4L-13T (the option I would recommend) from the 02-07 WRX you could do a t-bird compressor wheel and housing upgrade on the impulse turbocharger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts