Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Planet!

I've been fighting some issues with my Trooper for a while now. Long story short, I changed the engine and tranny mounts and the engine is sitting at an angle in the engine bay (not straight). It's causing awful vibration on take off. It started back in 2020 when I changed the mounts with ones from Jerry. The passenger side mount I installed then only lasted a year and a half and was completely roasted. I replaced all three mounts again last week, and the vibration is worse than ever.

Would anyone be so generous as to take pictures of how their engine mounts are situated in a "stock" 2.6L installation that the engine centerline is parallel with the vehicle centerline? I know the mounts are labelled etc, but I've been fighting this for a very long time. According to Jerry, the folded over sections are supposed to be facing up on both end with the cross retaining bit facing down, but I physically cannot get the engine to line up and drop on the mounts when they are situated like that.

I really need a sanity check because this is driving me nuts, and my Trooper is torn apart outside. I've pored over the archives and can't see any similar situations so I don't know what went wrong.

Note 1: not the original engine block. I was told it was also from a Trooper but it's possible it came from a Pickup?
Note 2: new mounts were installed when I put that engine in 8 years ago. I don't remember if they lined up like the factory ones.

The vibration I'm fighting is a horrible take-off vibration that goes away as soon as I start rolling. Also, the transmission shifter seems to just bounce around way too much when driving (shifting from loading to coasting the engine) and when cranking. New OE transmission mount was installed as well.

What I'm seeing is looking straight on down the engine bay, the three valve cover bolts are not on the vehicle centerline. It appears the front or back is off of center by about 1/2".

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Its impossible to tell you what your issue is however, here is some info that might help.
There are 2 different engine mounts used, early and later version. The early version engine mount has the mounting stud on the engine side shifted higher on the mount and back just a hair. If you mix these engine mounts the engine will not sit correctly. They are also directional, left/right & up/down. Newer and older version replacement mounts never line up exactly onto the chassis side. You will need to use a prybar to shift the engine &/or mount around to get the bolts in.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shawn. Is there different block to mount brackets to match the variations in mounts? Or just make sure both replacements are of the same generation?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I flipped the mount on the passenger side and 90% of vibration is gone. I can feel a slight bit on takeoff but it's not banging the carrier bearing around like it was. Reversing under load/on a hill still has vibration but the forward is significantly improved.

Now to inspect driveline angles and see how far off I am with the lift springs (no shackles, just ARB springs).

Thanks Shawn.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I flipped the mount on the passenger side and 90% of vibration is gone. I can feel a slight bit on takeoff but it's not banging the carrier bearing around like it was. Reversing under load/on a hill still has vibration but the forward is significantly improved.

Now to inspect driveline angles and see how far off I am with the lift springs (no shackles, just ARB springs).

Thanks Shawn.
Welcome

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Trooper II
29 Posts
The right and left motor mounts have different part numbers. However they can be installed erroneously on either side. They can also be installed upsidedown. I currently have the 2.6 removed from my 89 trooper, I’ll take some pics of them and how they’re supposed to be oriented later today.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The right and left motor mounts have different part numbers. However they can be installed erroneously on either side. They can also be installed upsidedown. I currently have the 2.6 removed from my 89 trooper, I’ll take some pics of them and how they’re supposed to be oriented later today.
That would be much appreciated! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts