Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, i need your imput on this matter. My wife, my 10 month old sond and I are planning a road trip come this November. We plan on driving up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco, and maybe farther up to the Oregon border.

My concern is this, the plan is to take the Trooper. '91 with 200,XXX miles. I have zero issues with it, but haven't drivin it that many miles in one trip. Plus, it'll be loaded with bikes, camping gear, 5 passengers and other raod-trippin' stuff. Do you guys think we'll be ok? Would you guys take a long distance road trip in an old 2.6L Isuzu? Other than the horrible gas milage, what other issues should i be concerned about?

Comment on, any feedback is highly appreciated. :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
You know your Trooper better than anyone else, but I would suggest a fresh oil change, make sure all the other fluids are topped off or in good shape, a good jack. How long since a tune up? How are the brakes? You know, the usual stuff. As long as the engine is in good shape, I wouldn't let the 200k plus miles be an issue.

If you make it as far as San Francisco look me up. I'd like to see your Trooper in person, and if you need help with anything you can work on your Troop at my place.

I never was that great at math, but how does you, your son, and your wife equal five passengers?

SuperFlea said:
Ok guys, i need your imput on this matter. My wife, my 10 month old sond and I are planning a road trip come this November. We plan on driving up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco, and maybe farther up to the Oregon border.

My concern is this, the plan is to take the Trooper. '91 with 200,XXX miles. I have zero issues with it, but haven't drivin it that many miles in one trip. Plus, it'll be loaded with bikes, camping gear, 5 passengers and other raod-trippin' stuff. Do you guys think we'll be ok? Would you guys take a long distance road trip in an old 2.6L Isuzu? Other than the horrible gas milage, what other issues should i be concerned about?

Comment on, any feedback is highly appreciated. :thumbright:

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
So what's the problem? I jump in my 1st gen and drive it all over on a regular basis. Usually towing a boat or trailer. I'll be headed back to the midwest in it in a couple of months. That normally equals a 1500 mile week. I can't think of too many vehicles I'd rather take a road trip in. If something does break down you can fix it instead of being towed to the local electronics repair shop and waiting weeks for the parts. I regularly took trips at almost 300k on my 1st Trooper and intend to do the same with this one. My old Troopers tend to be more reliable than the new vehicles I've owned. Earlier this spring on a wheeling trip another member here blew a carrier bearing in a national forest outside a small town in Va. The local auto store had a new one for us next morning. Sunday of Memorial day weekend. Try that with a 2011 anything. We had it fixed in camp and back on the road in a couple of hours. With a cell phone even if you had a blown head/gasket Clearwater head could probably have a new head sent next day to a hotel room.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay said:
You know your Trooper better than anyone else, but I would suggest a fresh oil change, make sure all the other fluids are topped off or in good shape, a good jack. How long since a tune up? How are the brakes? You know, the usual stuff. As long as the engine is in good shape, I wouldn't let the 200k plus miles be an issue.

If you make it as far as San Francisco look me up. I'd like to see your Trooper in person, and if you need help with anything you can work on your Troop at my place.

I never was that great at math, but how does you, your son, and your wife equal five passengers?
Jay, thanks buddy. I appreciate that. Sounds like a good idea. Where are you located? I'll pm you, maybe get your number? I actually just serviced the Trooper. Planning on doing a complete maintenance check before the trip. Fresh oil change and other fluids. Alse getting a spare set of belts. Servicing the radiator.

Oh, and it's Wife, Son, a couple of friends (maybe) and I. So, five total. :D

squatch said:
So what's the problem? I jump in my 1st gen and drive it all over on a regular basis. Usually towing a boat or trailer. I'll be headed back to the midwest in it in a couple of months. That normally equals a 1500 mile week. I can't think of too many vehicles I'd rather take a road trip in. If something does break down you can fix it instead of being towed to the local electronics repair shop and waiting weeks for the parts. I regularly took trips at almost 300k on my 1st Trooper and intend to do the same with this one. My old Troopers tend to be more reliable than the new vehicles I've owned. Earlier this spring on a wheeling trip another member here blew a carrier bearing in a national forest outside a small town in Va. The local auto store had a new one for us next morning. Sunday of Memorial day weekend. Try that with a 2011 anything. We had it fixed in camp and back on the road in a couple of hours. With a cell phone even if you had a blown head/gasket Clearwater head could probably have a new head sent next day to a hotel room.
Good point. Wife and I were talking about taking the Focus (wagon) instead, but that takes the fun out of the trip i think, as we plan on camping and such, i look forward to maybe hetting some minor trails and such. The trooper is my daily driver, i trust it more than any other car, but i have never drivin it that many miles in one single trip. So that does worry me a bit. I do load it with all my equipment when we go biking. Full passenger capacity, and cargo with 5 bikes. Never has let me down. :)

Thanks for the tips. Also, any recommendations on places to see/go? Or camp?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
govno90 said:
read this post for a little inspiration.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43734

good luck and have a safe trip
cheers, john
Awesome! Thanks for the posting the link. I'm sure we'll be ok. :) I.ve done so much work on the trooper that i'm confident enough for us to take the trip. :)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
SuperFlea said:
Thanks for the tips. Also, any recommendations on places to see/go? Or camp?
pretty much anywhere you go along the coast is nice. are you going to be taking PCH most of the way? if you're mostly going to be camping, you'll might have to make other arraingments when you get to Los Angeles Co. the only camping here is up around the Malibu area. Hearst Castle in San Simeon is well worth seeing. Hit Monterey for a nice seafood dinner. (but you probably have had your share of seafood, being in baja). 17 mile drive in Carmel is good. do a little exporing in Big Sur also. i rode my bicycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles and just stayed at campgrounds. every night but one, i left my bike and my set up tent and went out to have dinner. never a problem. no one touched a thing.
Jay probably has more recommendations for you as well.

have fun and show us your pics when you get back home.
cheers, john

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ruination said:
SuperFlea said:
govno90 said:
read this post for a little inspiration.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43734

good luck and have a safe trip
cheers, john
Awesome! Thanks for the posting the link. I'm sure we'll be ok. :) I.ve done so much work on the trooper that i'm confident enough for us to take the trip. :)
Even more inspiration:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat. ... art=1&vc=1
Woohooo! Great thead! Thanks again guys! :)

govno90 said:
pretty much anywhere you go along the coast is nice. are you going to be taking PCH most of the way? if you're mostly going to be camping, you'll might have to make other arraingments when you get to Los Angeles Co. the only camping here is up around the Malibu area. Hearst Castle in San Simeon is well worth seeing. Hit Monterey for a nice seafood dinner. (but you probably have had your share of seafood, being in baja). 17 mile drive in Carmel is good. do a little exporing in Big Sur also. i rode my bicycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles and just stayed at campgrounds. every night but one, i left my bike and my set up tent and went out to have dinner. never a problem. no one touched a thing.
Jay probably has more recommendations for you as well.

have fun and show us your pics when you get back home.
cheers, john
My boss said i should visit Napa Valley. Says it's flippin nice. I still need to map out places to visit and places we'll be staying. I manage a campground here in Baja, and we used to be part of the KOA franchise. I might look into staying in a couple of KOA's if they're along the way :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
the only KOA that i recall, is the one just outside of Solvang. cute little touristy Danish themed town. it's nice to spend a few hours there. Neverland is nearby, Michael Jackson's former home. i know you're in Baja, but do you have AAA? if you do, or even if you don't, stop in and get one of their "camping California" books. that would help you quite a bit.

john

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
govno90 said:
the only KOA that i recall, is the one just outside of Solvang. cute little touristy Danish themed town. it's nice to spend a few hours there. Neverland is nearby, Michael Jackson's former home. i know you're in Baja, but do you have AAA? if you do, or even if you don't, stop in and get one of their "camping California" books. that would help you quite a bit.

john
Nope, no AAA for me. Can't get it here. But good tip, I'll look for an AAA next time i'm in San diego. To pick up a book. Thanks man! :)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Napa schnapa. Sonoma County has plenty of tasting rooms and wineries without the snob, not to mention a beautiful coastline with plenty of camping. Bring your mountain bike and I'll show you anywhere from 1 to 6 hours of off road riding that will leave you smiling.
Jay

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jay said:
Napa schnapa. Sonoma County has plenty of tasting rooms and wineries without the snob, not to mention a beautiful coastline with plenty of camping. Bring your mountain bike and I'll show you anywhere from 1 to 6 hours of off road riding that will leave you smiling.
Jay
You Sir, have gotten my attention :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey superfly,
Hey man just thought I would say good luck on your interesting Trooper adventure. Your white trooper in your avatar looks VERY nice. I hope to find one like it soon. These troopers seem like lots of fun, we are really enjoying our new to us 1998 model. I want to get a first gen like yours soon as I can. They seem to look very nice in white. Peace

Pete

1 - 14 of 14 Posts