Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize my engine may not be optimal yet, in terms of a full service tuneup, but driving like a granny get 16mpg city. I do have the auto. Any tips for the 2.6 or the auto to get better mpg?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
That Aisin eats up some power but Red did get 20.5 - 21 MPG before I put bigger tires on it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
add a high flow exhaust system. :iroc:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I drive arround 55-60 MPH on the freeway with my 88 and she gets me arround 20 MPG

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
21-22 mpg w/ 31 inch tires. 8)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so it seems like if you got the manual, mileage is bumped up 5-7 mpg.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Not necessarily.................Blackie has a stick and only gets about 17.5-18 MPG. Of course he is wearing 32" MT's.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
2.6L, auto, 235/75/15, and i get around 22-23mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
completly rebuilt 2.6 from the ground up. 18.8 mpg with the first tank of gas. Thats rural country roads mostly and some highway.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thebig bread

are you driving on the highway? all of my driving is pretty much 35 mph and a decent amount of suburban traffic.

·
Registered
392 Posts
dryvr12 said:
Thebig bread

are you driving on the highway? all of my driving is pretty much 35 mph and a decent amount of suburban traffic.
Nearly all of it is interstate, it shifts into OD at about 68 so i pretty much just drive that constant speed. only time im not on the interstate for a while is when i go to new orleans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just made a drive from Colorado to South Carolina then up to Pennsylvania. Driving 75-80 and i was getting 23-26. not that I have settled down I'm getting 22-23 highway and city. 5 spd. Still have some work to do. I think i can boost it a litte bit more.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I've gone through a handful of Troopers both standard and auto and what I've determined is that the biggest variable when it comes to mileage is HWY vs City, not Stick vs Auto.... I always seem to get 16-18 city and 21-22 hwy regardless of trans.... I do know that the auto has a taller overdrive so I think that if you run taller tires with a 5 speed you'd actually get better hwy mileage, but I haven't done it..... yet. I'm putting a carb'd 2.3 in my RS with the 5 speed and then gonna get the tallest tires I can get in order to compensate for the 4:77's, or I may end up swapping the diff's out for 4:56's, but then main focus here is smaller, lighter, smaller displacement..... as high of gas mileage as I can get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts