Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I changed the front crankshaft seal and timing belt on my 2.6L '91 Trooper. This weekend, I noticed that the timing belt has slipped forward on the sprockets and is wearing a groove in the cover.

I've taken the t-belt off a couple more times, put the pulleys and sprockets are on as far as they can go, but it just doesn't seem like they are on far enough as the drive belts off the crankshaft pulley do not line up perfectly. And the t-belt slipped forward again after restarting. The engine starts and idles fine. But this slippage is making me a little nervous.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
merael said:
Last weekend I changed the front crankshaft seal and timing belt on my 2.6L '91 Trooper. This weekend, I noticed that the timing belt has slipped forward on the sprockets and is wearing a groove in the cover.

I've taken the t-belt off a couple more times, put the pulleys and sprockets are on as far as they can go, but it just doesn't seem like they are on far enough as the drive belts off the crankshaft pulley do not line up perfectly. And the t-belt slipped forward again after restarting. The engine starts and idles fine. But this slippage is making me a little nervous.

Any ideas?
DID YOU PUT THE LITTLE GUIDE PLATE ON THE BOTTOM BEFORE PUTTING THE TIMING BELT PULLEY BACK ON , THE MEATAL PLATE HAS TO BE ON THERE , IT IS USED AS A GUIDE FOR THE BACK SIDE OF THE PULLEY AND THE FRONT SIDE HAS THE GUIDE CAST ONTO THE PULLEY ITSELF , BE CERETAI YOU GET THE MATAL PLATE ON CORRECTLY OR IT WILL EAT THE SIDE OF THE BELT JERRY

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did put the guide on, but your reasoning for the guide got me thinking that there was not any kind of guide on the front side.

Took off the bottom timing cover and what do I find? I put the sprocket on backwards. No guide on the front side. Made sense, that would be why the timing belt would move to the front and rub on the timing cover.

Two hours of working on it got the sprocket switched around and all the belts back on. Fired up, no problem. The timing belt is still centerd on the camshaft sprocket after a run around the block.

After this weekend, I can now get the timing belt off in 20 minutes.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
merael said:
I did put the guide on, but your reasoning for the guide got me thinking that there was not any kind of guide on the front side.

Took off the bottom timing cover and what do I find? I put the sprocket on backwards. No guide on the front side. Made sense, that would be why the timing belt would move to the front and rub on the timing cover.

Two hours of working on it got the sprocket switched around and all the belts back on. Fired up, no problem. The timing belt is still centerd on the camshaft sprocket after a run around the block.

After this weekend, I can now get the timing belt off in 20 minutes.

Thanks for the help!
MAN DID YOU LUCK OUT WHAT USUALLY HAPPENS WHEN YOU GET THE TIMING PULLEY TURNED AROUND BACKWARDS IS IT LOCKS UP THE ENG , WHEN YOU TIGHTEN DOWN THE BOLT , AS THERE IS NOT RECESS FOR THE CRANKSHAFT TO GO INTO ,, AYWAY GLAD YOU GOT IT NOW MAYBE YOUR BELT WILL STAY ON JERRY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.