Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have had a battle with my 2.6 that has stretched over several years. Replacing the distributor fixed a "bouncy" tach and possibly stuttering while running. Replacing a temp sensor got rid of a code 14 from the ECM. Now i have it to where it shuts off as soon as it gets up to operating temperature. It has a fairly new rotor, cap, and plug wires. The vaccum lines seem to be hooked up right. Plenty of gas, oil, and water. When it shuts off, it does it slowly. Pumping the gas seems to make it shut off quicker. This makes me think it might be getting too much fuel, and flooding itself out? While its running, it has a very strong exhaust smell, but no smoke. It also has a slight miss, but it has done that for ages. I can test it out on the road when i get a tag next week, but i am really afraid its going to leave me stranded somewhere. After i wait about 30 minutes, it starts right up, and the process repeats. Any ideas?

Adam

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, they are all off. After it dies they come on, but that is normal. There are no engine codes either.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
79 Posts
Adam-
I was having a similar problem. You might check the fuel pump relay or fuel pump fuse for condensation or short-I also heard that ants can get in the relay plugz-Tthey eat the elct. grease and can screw with fuel pump relay performance-

Toddz-

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Toddz. I will check it out. I doubt that is the problem though. The fuel relay is fairly new, and it runs too good when its cold. Can someone tell me what all the computer does as the engine warms? Retard/advance timing, increase fuel, etc etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Adam you might want to try checking the fuel pressure. You will have to get special gauge or go somewhere that they have one. To check, you will have to connect the pressure gauge to the outlet hose on the fuel pressure regulator. I hope that helps, don't rule out anything, these 2.6's are great but sometimes it can be the littlest thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think I'm dealing with the same problem.. the symptoms are identical. It starts fine, idles for 5-10 seconds (I can apply gas at this point and get the rpms up) then just dies.

Since this started happening (ahem, almost a year ago) I've been able to get the thing started (after numerous attempts and a real workout on my battery charger) twice. Once it started both of these times, it ran fine.. no missing, nothing... sounds like the trooper I know and love.

I dont know what the fate of this vehicle is going to be, but if I dont get it diagnosed/repaired soon, I fear the wife's wrath.......

:D

-=\Blu/=-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.