·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
88 Trooper
rebuilt 2.6, 17000 miles
5 speed
l

Went fishing yesterday, on the way to lake ( about 50 miles to lake) I'm running highway speed 70 mph and the motor dies no rpm, oil light and ckeck engine light comes on, I had enough time to swear and the motor came back before I had time to pull over, so I assumed fuel filter stopprd at the next auto parts store and changed it, I continued on to lake no problems. Got ready to head home and got about 20 miles or so and it does it again (did not start back this time) so I check under hood and look for obvious things only things I found was nothing , so I called my brother to come get me, He shows up 45 minutes later and I try to start it again and it cranked so I told him to follow me home. I made it 15 20 more miles and boom does it again and will not start back, let it sit 20 minutes or so and it goes a few more miles, boom dead again and I said **** it and told brother to go get my Dodge and a strap and we'll tow it the last two miles home, when he left to get tow vehicle it started long enough to position it for the hook up to tow it home, this morning it cranks and I let it idle for a hour or so and nothing, it was about a quart and a half low on oil when I checked it this morning. other than that I changed PCV valve......Any Ideas

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do you have an electric fuel pump?

Been through this B4 - different make/model - same situation.

You drive a ways - dies at speed. Let it cool off - starts up - drive some more - dies again - repeat scenario.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
muttonhead said:
88 Trooper
rebuilt 2.6, 17000 miles
5 speed
l

Went fishing yesterday, on the way to lake ( about 50 miles to lake) I'm running highway speed 70 mph and the motor dies no rpm, oil light and ckeck engine light comes on, I had enough time to swear and the motor came back before I had time to pull over, so I assumed fuel filter stopprd at the next auto parts store and changed it, I continued on to lake no problems. Got ready to head home and got about 20 miles or so and it does it again (did not start back this time) so I check under hood and look for obvious things only things I found was nothing , so I called my brother to come get me, He shows up 45 minutes later and I try to start it again and it cranked so I told him to follow me home. I made it 15 20 more miles and boom does it again and will not start back, let it sit 20 minutes or so and it goes a few more miles, boom dead again and I said f__k it and told brother to go get my Dodge and a strap and we'll tow it the last two miles home, when he left to get tow vehicle it started long enough to position it for the hook up to tow it home, this morning it cranks and I let it idle for a hour or so and nothing, it was about a quart and a half low on oil when I checked it this morning. other than that I changed PCV valve......Any Ideas
Gremlins.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm also inclined to think it's fuel related..

Could be as simple as a blocked fuel filter in which case it would be an easy fix.. Could also be a bad fuel pump but I have no clue how difficult that is on a Trooper?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New fuel pump went in during rebuild also new gas tank,Ichanged the fuel filter on way to the lake as that was my first thought also, my Dodge ram did the same thing and it was the fuel pump also,The Troopers new pump is only a year and a half old, any ckecks I can perform on FPump?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The same thing happened to me a while back, turned out being a bad distributor rotor button. I replaced the cap and rotor at the same time and haven't had an issue since.

On the same note. I had restarting issues to that were similar to your issue, that one was related to a bad connector at the fuel tank where it connects to the fuel pump. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Do a search here and do some reading about both the fuel pump and the alternator. Do the jumper test on the fuel pump. When the truck isn't working. If this makes it run it's likely the alternator. as stated above the connector at the tank and tank ground are common issues as well. You did run a new ground from the tank to the frame didn't you?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Its been said by many here that some of the so called "New" fuel pumps stop working after a few months to a year. OEM does not mean Isuzu original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts