Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is for anyone looking to do a Weber carb swap on the 2.6.
Seeing as the 2.3 intakes are getting hard to come by ( seems like I looked for a year) I bought a “2.3” intake off eBay and upon further inspection and talking with Dennis on this forum figured out I had received a 1.9 intake.
Only saw one post where a guy had tried it, but never posted a follow up.
Differences that need to be addressed to make it work:
1.Tig weld up little water jacket hole over 4th cylinder.
2. Cut out aluminum block off plate and tig weld it to the fuel pump gap,
3. Get new (straight) thermostat housing
4. Specific Weber adapter for the 1.9
5. I kept the egr per Jerry’s advice, cut my 2.6 pipe, and straightened it out welded it straight, it will be just long enough. Also note if egr is desired, valve is on the bottom, can’t be added or taken off once intake is installed, A/c compressor in the way. Which also makes #2 bottom mounting bolt a real bear. Must remove power steering pump, and brkt.
I will post pics, just got it running today, got timing at 8 or 9 deg, will play with it to see optimal. Any questions or comments let’s me know. Note not as easy as a 2.3 intake, but it is doable if only option…
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Crankset Bicycle part
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive design Auto part
Hand tool Saw Tool Metalworking hand tool Wrench
Automotive design Gas Engineering Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle chain Vehicle brake Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,343 Posts
Very cool -- kudos on making it work. I wonder what the CFM difference between the 1.9 and 2.3 intake is

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I’m beginning to wonder about the cfm?
Trooper purrs like a kitten, but has no acceleration, no top end power. Barely holds 55 mph in 5th. Like the timings off, but it’s not. Set it at 6-8, bumped it to 15, no change…
Feels like the advance on dizzy not working or not getting enough fuel/air. Having to floor the gas through the gears… ordered rebuilt dizzy to see. If not I will change out to the 2.3 intake to see if any changes. Will keep posted…

· Registered
1,343 Posts
Assuming the carb is set up correctly, I'd have to guess it's just not getting enough air for the displacement. The 2.3 should be able to hold 65mph fine as long as there are no steep grades

· Registered
10,291 Posts
I noticed you have an EGR valve on the manifold. Are you running it active? Do you have an EGR transducer hooked into the vacuum? Are you in an emissions area where you would have to have the EGR? I suggest unplugging the EGR and plugging the vacuum hose. See if that makes a difference. Dennis

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys update, got a new rebuilt dizzy in, compared to the new one the rotor on new one spins a lot tighter, and I could physically see the advance move inside when I sucked on the hose. Not so with the old dizzy it was froze up.
Timed it to 6 deg warmed up and idled down. Took it for a spin and got some of that power band back, she ran 65-70 mph and actually could gain some speed in 5th. Not saying it couldn’t be better, in fact I plan on changing out to the 2.3 just to compare. But it will work. The dizzy was my issue.
As far as the egr, it is all there and plumbed and functional as far as I can tell? Leaving it in place per Jerry’s instruction… no pinging out that way.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, work called us off yesterday and today, so I decided to go ahead and change my intakes back out and compare.
let me first say I’m taking Dennis’s advice and trying it with out EGR. And it is a lot less junk to deal with. Made aluminum block off plates for egr and fuel pump holes on the 2.3 and even added a mechanical temp guage while the coolant was low.
Took a die grinder and made the fuel opening to match the Weber adapter kind of a port and polish job. Saw this tip on pupisuzu forum, and went ahead and ran a new tach wire.
By the way if you don’t want to cut wires to the guage, unscrew the screw that has a “p” by it the other two have + and - symbols. No color code to worry about that way.
Took it for a spin it was a little better than the 1.9 intake. It’s the first time I’ve seen my tach hit 4.5rpm, but still seems like it’s got a little more to give…Only went 50 mph due to road conditions. Planning on getting an AFR guage and a jet kit for the Weber and seeing what I can get out of her.
It’s nice to see an actual 180deg temp reading…

1 - 10 of 10 Posts