Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal...I had a stock 2.3 carb rebuilt and it's back on and the "pos" runs great except for one thing.
The idle is too high...probably 200-300 rpm.
The mech. said the adj screw is all the way out or in(?)...anyway the idle cannot be adjusted down with it.
What else might be a problem...Could the choke be open...
how can I diagnose if the mech just says..."it's all the way...
I know it can't be good for it to idle that high and even with new exhaust it sounds like a "hooptie."
Any thoughts...?

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
You really need to check the timing first before you attempt adjustment of the carburetor. When that's correct, check the vacuum for leaks. When that's correct check the fuel/air mix screw. When that appears good, adjust idle. If all that doesn't work, carb is probably dirty and/or needs rebuild or replacement. Check the timing on a fully warmed engine. Same for idle speed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well now...this makes me feel like a dope...! I went back to the mech. and bitched a little
they "discovered" that the choke cable was "hung up..."I wonder if the guy that looked at it first was "hung over"
Antway problem solved...hopefully better gas mileage...idles now at approx 900 AND doesn't sound llike a "HOOPTIE" anymore!
Thanks for the 411
Another thing...along with the rebuilt carb came an exhaust upgrade(?), new cat with a 2-1/4 line to a single stock type muffler and then
out in the factory location. Big difference in the sound level. I might even be able to hear a radio now...
That's another story... to begin NEXT...Alpine eadunit,AiNet interface, ipod port or hook up...

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
That's good, however, the choke has no cable unless yours has a manual choke. It does have linkage which could possibly bind. Did you watch them bend the linkage so that it no longer hangs up? Or, it could have been that the throttle was not fully closing which would have increased your idle speed. It does have a cable. Its linkage can also bind causing that problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as the cable vs linkage...I don't know! I did not watch as the made whatever adjustment (bend?), but it does now idle at normal sounding rpm.
As I don't have a tach I'm relying on the sound. I don't think the choke is manual so...linkage binding was probaly the issue.
Thaks all for the 411.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts