Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my Trooper, I didn't expect to get one with the bottom-view option. The shift boot for the 5speed was torn up pretty bad. In fact, it was a two or three-piecer. Aside from noise and fumes, it looked horrible.

Called everyone's favorite OEM source, but was quoted $36! Seemed pricey. YMMV- could be worth it for you. Being cheap I decided to check out a few other options.

Option #1-The shift boot from a VW Vanagon will work here. Might require a little surgery on the carpet, but it's a nice accordion rubber boot and can be had on the aftermarket for about $10-15. I happened to have a spare, but then I seem to have misplaced/lost that spare. :roll:

Option #2- Pep Boys! Yeah, I know. But sometimes you just gotta. Went it and found a rubber boot by Spectre that seemed to fit the bill. $10-ish.

Easy enough install. Off goes the shift knob, I just cut away what was left of the old boot, and muscled the new rubber boot on. Quick trace with a marker around the bottom where it meets the carpet, remove new boot, and place the metal retaining ring down and trace the inside of that. Cut carpet from inside that ring, drill four small holes, reinstall boot, drop on trim ring (I put it in upside down since I didn't want the chrome; the flip is a machined finish), reinstall knob, and four screws later -- voila!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EagleCap said:
How much time and effort are you going to put into something that might fit. 10-15 bucks worth. That's your $36 right there. Unless you can find a free boot you're not saving much.
You're missing the point. It did fit. Wasn't like I just pulled something off a shelf hoping I could mangle it to do what I wanted. I had already measured everything and was certain it would work. I just passed the information on to those needing a similar solution.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it works, do it. Just most of the time when trying to retro fit or "universal" fit things cost more in lost time than it's worth. But knowing that a cheap alternative for something is great. Rubber seems to all go at once. Good luck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks for posting, I'm doing the same thing to my Luv, seems that the stock boots don't want to work after a 3" body lift...gee i wonder why?? :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.