Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st gen Rodeos keep getting cheaper and cheaper. So that got me to thinking, how hard would it be to get a Rodeo and turn it into something else. Cutting the back off is one option but the amount of work needed to make it look right requires a lot of work. Even done right, it still looks like a Rodeo with the back cut off...... I got this idea earlier when looking at a picture of one. Achieving it would be a test but I kind of like the outcome.

A good example of a 1st gen Rodeo.

Now mind you this would be a lot of work. Basically, it would need to be cut down the middle of the rear door. A Pickup cab may need to be grafted on, the door glass would need to be cut down or new glass made. That just some of the stuff....... I would try to stitch the bed panel to the door since it wouldn't require donor material. Better results could possibly involve cutting down a pickup bed or possibly just Amigo quarters? I'm just brain storming here but this is what I think would look good.

Just something to keep me from going stir crazy! Two weeks of office work and staying in a hotel in Jersey tends to drive a guy a little batty..... :D

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
\

there ya go... now get busy on it.

lol

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
yes... i knew it was missing something

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
You know, I grapple with the same concept when done to 1st gen Troopers. I've seen some really bad hack jobs, and a few nicely acheived chops, but in both cases, something just doesn't look right.

My ultimate dream would be to make a soft top RS, like this one, but like you said, the amount of work and money that it would take would be serious, if you want to make it look right. And then there is the cost of having a cutom soft top made. And then there is the fact that RSes are so rare it would almost be a shame to chop one.

But in your case, like you said, Rodeo's can be had cheap, so worst case, you wasted a little money, right? You can always keep cutting and turn it into a P'up. :)

Bart

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bart, I've thought about the same thing.

I've thought about how I would do it without chopping up a real RS. I want to take an Amigo Frame (cause I think it's about the same wheel base). Then two 1st gen Trooper bodies. A 4 door front end and a two door back end cut down. Cut the 4 door right behind the door pillar then cut the 2 door body panels down to fit. Done right you could hide your seams fairly easily. At least in theory. Then of course you wouldn't need the top. Just make up a correctly shaped roll bar and have a tarp shop make you a top that matches the picture you posted.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Cronk said:
Bart, I've thought about the same thing.

I've thought about how I would do it without chopping up a real RS. I want to take an Amigo Frame (cause I think it's about the same wheel base). Then two 1st gen Trooper bodies. A 4 door front end and a two door back end cut down. Cut the 4 door right behind the door pillar then cut the 2 door body panels down to fit. Done right you could hide your seams fairly easily. At least in theory. Then of course you wouldn't need the top. Just make up a correctly shaped roll bar and have a tarp shop make you a top that matches the picture you posted.
Yeah, that could work, but dayum, you would need 3 vehicles to Frankenstein together!! It would be cool though.

I think cutting down a RS would work, and it wouldn't be too hard, but man, I would kick myself if I FUBARed it. Still, something to think about.

Bart

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know but I expect to be like johnny five, Ron and Mark Martin (on Isuzu Pup) one of these days though! 300 dollars here, three hundred dollars there and I'll eventually have more than enough of what I 'll need to do everything I ever dreamed up. Granted it might take me the next twenty years to find the time...........But when I do, look out!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, get an amigo for the body on the Rodeo. (look at these lines).

Then use the Frame for the Trooper RS clone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Maybe Im silly, but it looks to me like a Pup Spacecab......

·
Registered
574 Posts
http://www.productioncars.com/gallery.php?car=5203&make=Isuzu&model=Spacecab

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well, I dont know why the link isnt working......

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much, but minus the weird back window. :blackeye: The idea though is to make it out of the Rodeo, with the amigo rear quarters and fenders (The more I think about it). It'd be a bit shorter than the factory spacecab. In reality, if it were done, it'd probably make more sense to make the body all flush but I like the separate bed. I just like to proportions and the way the lines flow.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is a good example of a Spacecab. Notice the rear overhang and the space between the rear tire and cab corner.

Here is a revised version. Maybe a suicide rear door?

·
Registered
574 Posts
So bob the truck bed and shorten the frame? I like this discussion, it causes some interesting thought processes!!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Grab a Rodeo, dump the body, grab a Pup space cab, put the cab on Rodeo, shorten the bed, put the shortened bed on Rodeo.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I want what you're smoking! lol

J/k... that's a ton of work... sounds like a job for LOWZONE!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Ruination said:
I want what you're smoking! lol

J/k... that's a ton of work... sounds like a job for LOWZONE!
I don't know if he could take another projectof that calaber on... he did just get the amigo that killed cookie monster.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I know, it would be a ton of work. But it would also be a good learning opportunity. You know me, this is just another dreamed up idea. I'm really just laying everything in my head out until I can make it happen. One of these days! :D Or not.......

·
Registered
258 Posts
MOZES said:
So bob the truck bed and shorten the frame? I like this discussion, it causes some interesting thought processes!!
Mozes is right. This way you would get the exact same thing with about 1/10 of the work. And probably a better outcome too.
my $.02

1 - 20 of 22 Posts