Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Trooper do you guys think is the better offroad vehicle, 1st Gens or 2nd Gens?

I'm trying to decide if my '01 is worth building for the muddy trails here in the midwest or if I should get something older without the TOD hoohaa and stuff.

So, what are your opinions?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
An 01 can built well. You can change out the t-case to get rid of the TOD if you really don't like it. The second gens are much more comfortable.

There's nothing you can do to a older Trooper that you can't to a newer one. They are a pretty good wheeler right out of the box. I'd build it as is.

There are a few things that are off about the 01.

If you plan to really build it you may run into a snag. If you want an ARB locker or 5.38 gears, you'll need to swap to an older 12 bolt rear end. The newer ones have a larger ring gear.

Otherwise if you plan on lifting it and running a 285/75/16 you should be fine. You can get a bull bar bumper, a rear bumper made by Calmini. Not sure if they'll make one or not. They told me they'd make one for my truck, that's not really in production.

I'm sure Jaime won't care if I use a pic or two of his. His is a 2000.

Joe

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jaime has one of the best looking and best performing 2nd Gens around. I want my Trooper to grow up and be like his!

Regarding the t-case and older 12 bolt axle, can those come from the same vehicle and what years do I need to watch for? I am fairly adept at scouring junk yards for parts. Also regarding the Aisin hubs, isn't there a bunch I'll need to do to swap from drive flanges to the free running hubs?

There are a couple of 1st gens in my local junk yard I can source the hubs from.

I figure I could lift the Trooper now and put bigger tires under it and start collecting parts for the more serious stuff and install them later. I want to go with the DOR lift and their diff drop kit also. I figure I can wheel the Trooper for quite a while with IFS. Once I get more offroad experience and skills I'd like to go SAS at some point.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Anything 95-98 will work for the rear end. The transfer case depends on whether you wish to keep the shift on the fly or not. You could swap to an older case that would take you to a full shifting case.

Joe

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Searching car-parts.com I had to choose between carrier mounted ABS sensor (1 sensor) or axle tube mounted ABS (2 sensor). Which one do I need? If I go look under my vehicle, what do the sensors look like?

Did the housing or the bolt pattern change on the front diff? Could I buy the front diff or front 3rd member along with the rear axle and swap them in? I ask because then I could go from 4.3 to 4.56 gears when I put taller tires on. Or, should I just buy new gears when I swap the rear axle?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Look for the sensor on the rear end housing. If you don't see a sensor somewhere on the rear end, they will be out be each wheel, hence a two sensor version.

You can get a front third from just about any year except 98. There was a run in 98 that uses a different ring gear size.

Joe

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally had a chance to crawl under the Trooper and it appears that I have two ABS sensors one at each wheel.

While looking around underneath the truck I saw what looked to be a 3 link set up on the suspension. Is this correct? I saw a link going from both frame rails to the axle and I saw one link going from a cross member back to the top of the rear diff. Is that why the rear ends are usually so flexy?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The rear is a three link on all 2nd gen troopers. Part of the reason for the good flex yes.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.