Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My armrests were in crappy shape and I found a simple solution.

Both the foam and the upholstery on the top of my arm rests in my LS were in nasty condition. The upholstery had a hard layer of crust from what I assume were skin oils and dirt from many many miles and years being put on it by the PO. Likewise the foam underneath was completely broken down and really your arm was resting on the hard frame underneath.. started to hurt after a while. So I unbolted the armrests, unzipped and removed the upholstery sleeves from the rests and removed the foam and simply swapped them from one armrest to the other. Now I have the unbroken down, unworn out foam and untarnished upholstery that was previously facing downward now facing up. Not exactly perfect but it was free and certainly makes the rests more comfortable and they look much better too.

The first time I tried this I tried to simply unbolt the armrests and swap the whole things but the mechanisms inside that keep the arm rest up when you put weight on it only work in one direction. So as soon as I put my arm on it, it just sank. The mechanism inside has to remain where it is but the foam and upholstery that surrounds it can be flipped.

Just another cheap fix to make your old ride a little more comfortable.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
stusvend said:
My armrests were in crappy shape and I found a simple solution.

Just another cheap fix to make your old ride a little more comfortable.
I'm gonna do that !!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Fluff at JoAnn fabric, less than 5 dollars makes a great solution too, i used it to repack my center console armrests but it sounds like it could work for the trooper guys too.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
95Rodeo4x4 said:
Fluff at JoAnn fabric, less than 5 dollars makes a great solution too, i used it to repack my center console armrests but it sounds like it could work for the trooper guys too.
The foam in the trooper armrests is a dense, solid molded piece. It would be difficult to get stuffing to hold the same shape but that is a good idea.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
stusvend said:
So I unbolted the armrests, unzipped and removed the upholstery sleeves from the rests and removed the foam and simply swapped them from one armrest to the other. Now I have the unbroken down, unworn out foam and untarnished upholstery that was previously facing downward now facing up.
So now you have the zippers on top ?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I did mine as suggested. My covers come off via velcro on the backside (facing rear seat). If mine had zippers on the bottom...the way I switched mine around would result in zippers being on top. Mine are leather, and I liked the idea of the swap as the tops were worn cracked and bottoms in good condition. The leather wasn't a perfect fit though when swapped...but still much better than it was. Thanks again for the idea.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Selador said:
stusvend said:
So I unbolted the armrests, unzipped and removed the upholstery sleeves from the rests and removed the foam and simply swapped them from one armrest to the other. Now I have the unbroken down, unworn out foam and untarnished upholstery that was previously facing downward now facing up.
So now you have the zippers on top ?
The zippers go around the back of the arm rest in a C shape. There is as much zipper on top as there is bottom.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
stusvend said:
The zippers go around the back of the arm rest in a C shape. There is as much zipper on top as there is bottom.
I went out and looked at them, yesterday, after posting that.

I should have gone and looked before posting. LOL

For some reason I remembered them running all the way across the bottom.

In my best Emily Litela voice... Never Mind.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Selador said:
In my best Emily Litela voice... Never Mind.
For the others like me who might have to google that reference. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.