Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy an Amigo in the next few weeks. Plan to use it as a 2nd daily driver and trail rig. So, I plan to lift it with the lift kit and run 33 or 35s.

I like the 2nd gen for the DD for comfort and the V6. However, it seems the V6 has more issue than 4cyl.

So I guess my question is, which gen is better for an all around truck?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
2nd Gen! With the 5-spd manual. Very capable and can fit a skinny 33 easily. The 3.2 is reliable and strong just keep an eye on oil consumption. If you get a 2000+ Amigo the oil consumption issue shouldn't even be an issue. The only downside that I can think of is steering. The first gen rodeos have a stronger steering box compared to the 2nd gen rack and pinions.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Why not buy a Trooper for this purpose ? It would suite your stated goals better.

What I totally hate about the 2gen Rodeos/Amigos/Axioms is the "strategic" location of the rear upper driver side link, located on top of the fuel tank. This one single feature make it hardly usable as a trail rig, unless you want to invest into a bent link. With the stock link, the lift is limited, and the rear suspension articulation is pretty limited and the vehicle is handicapped on the trails.

·
Registered
56 Posts
got a 99 3.2 and never had an oil issue, but have gone thru 3 IMG's... side note I have 255/55R18's and it rides rough even after a Hunter 9700 balance.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Yep the rear links are a pain but you can get a bent one relatively cheap from Calmini.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
jwood1016 said:
Yep the rear links are a pain but you can get a bent one relatively cheap from Calmini.
I got my links from Stinkyfab... still its a pain installing them, the location of the front joints is rather difficult to reach.

My opinion is that the Troopers are just much easier to lift. And the Troopers steering is better.

The only plus for 2gen Rodeos and Axioms is that they were available with Aisin transmission in 2004. But not the Amigo. I'd rather buy a 1gen Amigo with manual transmission, if no Trooper is available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts