Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a part time volunteer gig where I tend to be fairly hard on the brakes - specifically getting them hot and then parking the truck. As a result I end up needing to replace the rotors every couple of years to get rid of the brake pedal pulsating.

I am thinking about replacing them with something like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CQ-43009 ... 738wt_1003

Has anyone tried rotors like this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would make some attempt to source them locally. It's always nice to see things in person.

But 1100+ sales and generally positive feedback looks good.

Look for a review on the same product. If it worked for someone else's truck, it'll probably work for yours.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The snag I see with using EBay feedback is that it seems to show a lot about the responsiveness of the seller and about the initial perceived quality but not much about the long term viability.

Part of me says they are fairly inexpensive and how could I trust something like that for the brakes of a 4000 lb truck. You get what you pay for and all that.

But then I recall having brake drums come apart on a 400k fire truck with less than 20k miles. I remember the Sennheiser headphones that cost 3 times as much as the Sonys they replaced and sounded almost as good. So I don't buy into the belief that if something costs more it has to be better. LOL if we did we wouldn't likely be on an Isuzu board.

I think I will give them a go - I will be sure and let folks know how they work provided I live through it.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have used Chinese rotors before. Some worked ok and some were so bad I refused them at the parts counter. Never has the machining been on par with the name brands even for a stock replacement but they were machined properly where it counted.

Just note that you should avoid a cross drilled rotor for an abusive application like a heavy truck. Slots work well.

If your looking for something that is high performance and high quality then get EBC brakes. Depending on who you know the price is comparable to a stock replacement. If you don't have connections then you will probably get hosed.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
cross drilled rotors crack easy on a heavy truck, had that happen to me, i would avoid them, slotted ones wear your pads a lot faster but they do a good job.

Reactions: Moses

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
betterthanyou said:
If your looking for something that is high performance and high quality then get EBC brakes. Depending on who you know the price is comparable to a stock replacement. If you don't have connections then you will probably get hosed.
http://www.race-mart.com/EBC_Brakes-EBC-USR637.html

Is cheapest I have been able to find - about 220.00 plus the shipping.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I dont't think that is too bad for 2 of them. Get a set of Yellow pads and you should be able to stop pretty damn hard.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is just that it is a little more than double the price of NAPA, Raybestos or Wagner rotors. I guess is a matter of preference as to if they are worth it but seems likely they would be at least as prone to uneven transfer of pad material.

What I was looking to do was not so much to improve the performance of the brakes (as they seem pretty good already) so much as to hopefully find something that would be less prone to getting hot enough to transfer pad material as described in

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml

To me this is what the drilled rotors would help with but which would not be helped by slots. The slots may help the braking some but would not seem likely to help with the temperature.

But if the drilled ones fail then that's a bad trade. I've got Hawk pads on it now (won't do those again) and some EBC GreenStuff pads ready to put on. I'm wondering if maybe I will just keep the current rotors on it (they don't pulsate that bad) and replace with Wagner/Raybestos/NAPA when they get bad enough to bug me.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I have read too many stories about drilled rotors cracking, and those sway me from getting them.

If you want good rotors, OEM is the best you can buy. They are pricey though.
The aftermarket made in China stuff is a hit or miss, but they will warp pretty fast.

I have heard good things about the Napa ultra premiums. I bet they are just reboxed pro grade Raybestos or something similar.

Power stop drilled rotors have some good reviews if you really want to go that route.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the ones I've had go bad (two sets) neither warped. They both had spots on them (exactly the same size as the pads) where the surface was more coarse. Exactly like the article describes. For education I tried grinding on them and that part was way harder than the rest of the surface. I figure is from getting them really hot and parking it. I've actually gotten better with the behavior and having a manual trans now also helps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think its old post but did you get the Cquence rotors? Ive been google them and I believe they use Centric parts rotor and then drill/slot them. ebay is cheapest place to get them with free shipping. for the price I would go for them, I just replaced the rear rotor with raybestos one and I am thinking to put the dront with slotted ones.

And I think your link on first post was the rotor for rodeo... not for trooper. trooper front rotor's part number (centric parts) 43013, which is $47 a piece, I have asked them about direction, they answer me they are made-to-order, so if you order a pair they will make it left and right. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150911878285?item=150911878285

·
Registered
288 Posts
tonnydoodles said:
cross drilled rotors crack easy on a heavy truck, had that happen to me, i would avoid them, slotted ones wear your pads a lot faster but they do a good job.
Slotted rotors are proven to dissapate heat really well. Drilled rotors are proven to crack really well. The slotted ones may not look as pretty but they will actually be functional. Don't do the drilled, you will get stress cracks and thats pretty scary.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Totally didn't notice the post date... My bad

·
Registered
793 Posts
Moses said:
Totally didn't notice the post date... My bad
I know , it was a old thread. I am actually thinking the new front rotor, I would probably go for slotted only. if the price is right

1 - 16 of 16 Posts