Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace the timing belt-water pump-cam seals-crank seal idler puller tensioner pulley Radiator-and t-stat and add a Trans cooler-The new Timing belt has 5 Arrows on it-And no other marks on it,
Font Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas Electronic device

If I'm standing in front of the car should the arrows point to the right-DRIVERS SIDE or to the left? PASSENGER SIDE? Or does it matter? When I take the cam and crank pulleys off should I set the timing before I take them off or after I put them back on? Im Afraid if I set the timing mark befor-when I try to break the bolts loos I might move the timing marks-now I am going to mark EVERYTHING with a white marker before I do anything-and when I tighten them back up I do not want to move the timing marks either -is it ok to use BLUE thread lock? on the bolts-I think I can do this job-i have all of the tools that I will need-Its the T-Stat that I do not have the confidence-in doing-so I will do that last-I will follow any tips or help that is given

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
You don't actually need marks on the timing belt but you absolutely need to have the camshaft drive pulleys and the crankshaft drive pulley in the correct position. Watch these poor quality videos to get a good understanding how to get the engine re-timed properly.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Break the crankshaft bolt loose first, then roll the engine over by hand to align the timing marks. The cam pulleys do not require removal for timing belt replacement. If the timing pulleys move a little after you removed the belt, it's no big deal. Just roll all the pulley that moved until the timing mark is aligned. The arrows on the belt points in the same direction of engine rotation. There are no other marks on the belt that are important to belt installation. A drop of blue loc-tite on the crank bolt is a good idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Break the crankshaft bolt loose first, then roll the engine over by hand to align the timing marks. The cam pulleys do not require removal for timing belt replacement. If the timing pulleys move a little after you removed the belt, it's no big deal. Just roll all 3 pulleys one at a time until they are aligned with the timing marks again. The arrows on the belt points in the the same direction of engine rotation. There are no other marks on the belt that are important to belt installation. A drop of blue loc-tite on the crank bolt is a good idea. 5
I was going to remove the cam pulleys to replace the cam seals while I was in there
Break the crankshaft bolt loose first, then roll the engine over by hand to align the timing marks. The cam pulleys do not require removal for timing belt replacement. If the timing pulleys move a little after you removed the belt, it's no big deal. Just roll all the pulley that moved until the timing mark is aligned. The arrows on the belt points in the same direction of engine rotation. There are no other marks on the belt that are important to belt installation. A drop of blue loc-tite on the crank bolt is a good idea.
you sure are right about the bad videos-hay I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck-but how is the timing belt going to know if its turning the right way or not? and what will happen if I put it on wrong

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If I remember correctly, this engine rotates clockwise while looking at it under the hood. You can verify this by observing which way the crank or fan spins while the engine is running. A drop of blue loc-tite on the cam grar bolts will be a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts