Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my buddies 1999 Amigo with the 2.2 engine. He tboned a deer last winter and messed the front end up pretty bad. When he hit the deer, the hood released and smashed the windshield and it rolled on the driver side. He said he turned it off right away.

It was on its side for about 10 mins before a few guys came along and helped him flip it back on its wheels. He fired it up and drove it home at about 35 mph for about 15mins. Didn't leak anything that he could see and oil in the engine is at a good level.

He would go out and start the Amigo every once and a while just to keep the battery charged and keep it running. When I went to pick up the amigo, the starter wouldn't engage and just clicked like the battery was dead, so I winched it up and took it to my shop.

I just spent about 10 hours cutting out the dented sheet metal and bolting up replacement parts from my parts rodeo. Damn front end looks perfect....Swapped in a good battery and couldn't even get the starter to click, so I figured the starter was junk. Went and picked up a remained starter and put it in. Stater engaged and started to spin the engine, then it stopped like it hit a brink wall.... Hit the starter again and it tried to engage but just made a loud click like the engine was locked up.

Popped the hood and got a large break bar and put it on the crank bolt and tried to spin the crank.... one way was locked tight. spun it the other way and it would spin pretty freely.... got to a certain point and it would just stop and lock.... (I actually thought it a bit odd that I could turn the engine with the spark plugs in.... but I could) Just to be sure it wasn't something else, I pulled the belt off and still got the same result....

I thought it odd that this would happen after my friend said he drove it home without issue.... So I called him and told him what was going on. He said that the last time he started it, he fired it up and it ran for a few mins and then he could hear a slight ticking sound and then it got louder and then he heard like a "tearing" sound... I said, a "tearing" sound? Like a belt tearing? He said well kind of.... but I turned it off right away. Then I went to start it again and the battery was dead so I couldn't. I just thought it was the belt (cause it does have a tear in it...).... I said.... ya this would have been good info to have before I started this and while we were loading it up and it wouldn't start... remember? :roll: .... unreal....

What do you think I'm looking at here? I'm thinking the clicking sound would be valves slapping....Possible out of time and I'm hitting the valves? My only other thought is that a piston seized up and ripped out of the rod and is stuck in the cylinder and when the rod spins to that point it's locking up....

Ugh.... Either way I think it's looking like a big job unless I'm missing something easy.... Kicking myself for not making sure it was running right before I started the body work..... :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, bit of an update here. I went out today and pulled all the spark plugs. When I pulled them, they were drenched in oil (dripping as I pulled them out of the engine.... ugh) All the plugs seemed to have the same amount of oil on them. (bottom of the plugs that screw into the block, no oil above or on the plug wire boots)

After I pulled the plugs I tried to rotate the engine by hand again and it still stops in that same spot. I dropped a long extension down into the cylinder onto the top of the piston heads and turned the engine and all the pistons are moving freely.... until I hit that one spot and then it locks up again.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
646 Posts
i think the 2.2 is an inference engine as it valves will touch piston top if cam to crank timing is off i might be wrong.... but im thinking one of the valves are down and the piston is hitting it eather that or there is so much oil in one cyl that when it comes up to the near top the oil wont compress any and it stops it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ghost. I'm thinking you are right about the valves, I think I have eliminated any other possible problem. I had thought about the oil pressure stopping the engine also, but with the plugs out it still stops at that one point.

I guess I will have to take the covers off an try to set the timing. I don't have much experience with car engine timing, but i've done a few motorcycles so I should have an idea. I looked at the timing belt cover yesterday and when he hit the deer, it had cracked and a few small pieces of the cover broke off and fell into the chamber where he timing belt is. They were just small pieces of plastic and none seemed to have marks on them from coming into contact with the belt itself and the belt looks to be in good shape, but i'm wondering if the last time he started it a piece of that debri didn't come into contact with the belt and have it jump a few teeth on the gears.

Can someone help me with how to find TDC and cam position on this engine? The motorcycles I have tuned in the past have a mark on the flywheel, but as I was looking at it for bends or damage yesterday I don't remember seeing a mark.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, he didn't have full coverage. The amigo was just basically his work/around town car.

Can't really figure out why it would run fine all the way back to his house, and be fine starting and idleing 4 or 5 times, then just go out of time like that. It even has the "Timing belt serviced at 100,000 miles" written on the belt case, and it only has 118,000 miles on it.

I can't believe that little flimsy piece of plastic would have caused the belt to jump teeth like that.

I'm going to pull the valve covers off and see if I can see how much of a mess there is in there. Maybe with it just idleing and him shutting it down it wouldn't have went supernova

Is there timing marks somewhere on the block or timing belt case? I can't seem to find anything

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok.... took the cams out of the engine and released the pressure on the valves and the engine is still locking. I marked the pulley on the crankshaft and spun the engine the other way and it locks about a half inch before the mark rotating the opposite way.

Engine still spins nice and free, just feels like you hit a brink wall when you get to that spot.

Releasing the pressure on the valves should have let the engine spin freely, correct?

The timing belt looks brand new.... and doesn't look to have any problems.....

Kinda running out of ideas here!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
# 290378186478 ebay item number

i don't know if you have a service/repair manual , you can get one on ebay for 7$ , free shipping , i have one and they are very good.

you may have to bite the bullet and pull the head before you break something and cause a bigger problem .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When it won't turn anymore do you feel or hear a metallic clunk? I wonder if something else could have fallen in the timing cover?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, no metal sounds or scraping or clunking. The engine spins nice and free. The cams and top of the valves look pretty nice to.

Other than the oil drenched spark plugs, I cant really see anything that looks to be a miss.

The amigo is a 5 speed. I'm wondering if something in the clutch is out of wack... I almost feel like I have elimnated the internal engine as the cause, the only other thing I can think of is a valve is bend so bad that it isn't coming back out of the cylinder even though I released the pressure.... But like I said, I can't hear any odd noises or metal pieces rolling around in there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts