Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall im from wyoming and i just perchased a 1998 isuzu trooper, i had a 1991 trooper with a 2.8L and i loved it. i really dont know very much about the 98 or anything on mods. iv been looking at getting a calmini 2'' lift because to me it looks like you get the most bang for your buck. but im really looking for drivetrain mods, i do mostly highway but i wanna play in the dirt too. any suggestions for better power, gearing or grip would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
cowboy :king:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Keep you eyes on the oil level! Biggest problem with that year is oil consumption. The 3.2 6cyl can burn through a quart in under 500 miles. Seems the engines have a design flaw that the factory never fixed until a couple of years later in the product line.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Welcome! I'd consider indy4x for your lift needs, I ordered the 2" Calmini kit w/swaybars and it's been on b/o from Calmini for 4 months now. Oil burning issue is correct, same for your 3.5l v6. I run high mileage synthetic and religious on oil changes every 3k miles, and I burn about a quart every 1500 miles, 98-01 Troopers I believe suffer this one minor design flaw, insufficient drainage from piston rings. Some searching on the forum and the classifieds could get you lifted fairly cheap if you want to diy :wink:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
cowboy phil said:
sweet thanks guys, is there anyway you can fix the over eating of the oil?
Pre-fix: The 3.2L & 3.5L pistons had four holes drilled in the oil ring recess for drainage, this was not enough to drain the oil scribing rings.

Post-fix: The pistons got 8 holes drilled for oil drainage. This is better, combined with a mindful & attentive owner oil consumption is much lower.

Not much to be done on current pistons without a full tear down. Just be religious with oil checks & keep a qt or three in the rig.

~psguardian

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
919s will get you about 2" I am told...you can add a spacer to that also for another inch or two. Personally I wouldn't go over 3" though for ride quality. You certainly don't need to go higher than 3" to fit any tire you might reasonably want.

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
I went through this last fall. My sol'n was as tiger trooper said:

OME 929 springs in rear, torsion bar front lift.

Added poly bushing all four corners (BIG difference!, especially the front pair), and monroe sensatrac shocks all around. Nice, not crazy expensive. Runs empty just fine, and handles cargo or a heavy trailer just fine.

I have a 1998 and have tamed oil consumption with several seafoam treatments to oil prior to oil change, then running HD diesel oil (Delo, Delvac, or Rotella). Oil consumption down dramatically and still falling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet!!! thank you guys so much, yall saved me a bunch of money, cause i was all ready and fine with spending a grand on a lift. but heck if i can do it for cheaper why not!! thanks again.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.