Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched old posts but am still confused - what does switching to manual hubs get me? Better mileage, less wear/tear?

I am confused as there was contradictory statements from some experienced forum members. I don't use 4x4 much at all, switching manually is no problem. Gas improvement would be clutch, though.

If I do this, best/cheapest route to go?

·
Registered
199 Posts
switching will only help very little with gas mileage. If you were to jack up the front of your truck and try to roll one of the front tires, you would feel a good deal of resistance and it would only carry around maybe 1 turn or so. This is due to the fact that there are friction losses that are happening by turning your cv axles. by switching to manual hubs, if you were in unlocked position and did the same procedure as above, you would feel much less resistance and the tire may turn 2 to 3 times. Again performing this switch will give an improvement on gas mileage and power but you will most likely not be able to tell the difference. As far as I can tell the main reason for switching to manual from flanges is that the wear and tear on the cvs can be minimized. this is because when the hubs are unlocked then your cv axles are no longer turning. this will most likely only come into play if you have lifted your truck since the cv angle will be increased and the stresses on the joints will be increased. If you are switching from auto hubs to manual there are the benefits listed above as well as you can know for a fact that the hubs are engaged. (with a '98 you have drive flanges.)

edit: just saw in the other post that you have 929 and torsioned in the front so yes there is a good benefit from manual hubs but again no real mileage increase

·
Super Moderator
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that; sounds close to what I was thinking but I do not know for sure.

I am putting in new boots and greasing hubs, so reducing wear would be great; may have this vehicle a while (I like it, just not the mileage!).

Anything I need to know about the Aisin hubs? Any special tricks, clips, shims, etc. I need to know about? Or they just bolt on?

Also, I read that if you put them in "lock" but leave the TOD selector off, they will function as auto hubs effectively? So on the three/four days a year I actually use it, I could just toggle them "on" at the start and not worry about them?

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts