Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I had a chance to pull everything apart while doing the front brakes. I found out that all 6 of the allen bolts on the drivers side were missing and the splined piece was just spinning with the axle. I have no idea why the bolts were left out, but the threads on the hub bolt holes were completely rusted. I cleaned up the threads with a rethread kit M10 x 1.25. I would usually use oil but I did it dry so I could go little by little and blow out the powdered rust with air. It took a long time of working the rethreader back and forth and clearing out the rust powder but I got it all cleaned up.

I had to order the bolts through Fastenal along with the 2 Caliper bracket bolts that broke (M14 x 1.5) I do not recommend them. They charged me $8 "shipping and handling" without telling me. Grand total for the 8 bolts was $28. I figured because they were a fastener wholesaler it would be as cheap as anywhere else, but I was wrong.

After bolting everything back up and using my vacuum connector method the 4WD was working. Out of curiosity I hooked all the factory vacuum lines back up and tried to engage 4WD the factory way. The 4WD engaged, but it would not switch back into 2WD even after rolling the tires. Am I correct to assume that my 4WD solenoid is working and my 2WD one is not?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Easy way to find out is switch the vacuum lines so the 2wd one engages 4wd and the 4wd one engages 2wd. On another note why did you go to Fastenal for those bolts? They aren't an uncommon size and I'd think Lowes or Home Depot would have had something that would work. Fastenal is an awesome place to shop if you're looking for uncommon of hard to find fasteners. For everything else though they are grossly overpriced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
nasty610 said:
Easy way to find out is switch the vacuum lines so the 2wd one engages 4wd and the 4wd one engages 2wd. On another note why did you go to Fastenal for those bolts? They aren't an uncommon size and I'd think Lowes or Home Depot would have had something that would work. Fastenal is an awesome place to shop if you're looking for uncommon of hard to find fasteners. For everything else though they are grossly overpriced.
Good idea on swapping the vacuum lines, I think they are long enough to reach.

You WOULD think that any of those stores would have the fasteners I was looking for... as did I, which is why I drove to Menards, Home Depot and 2 Ace Hardware before calling around to all the auto parts stores in the area. No one had either of the bolts in stock. Both Ace Hardware had an empty spot for them and had them in a much longer length, but I didn't want to deal with cutting the bolt. Most hardware stores are geared toward builders not automotive and have a limited metric selection. The best is usually Ace or Menards, but they both failed me this time so I had to go to Fastenal.

I was working on the Trooper at my buddy's shop an hour away, all in all it took me 4 days of driving back and forth to get this damn thing put back together.
Day 1: Broke the bolts, got a bunch of stuff done and got a ride back home with him thinking I would drive out the next day and pick up the bolts on my way.
Day 2: Drive out try finding bolts at all the hardware stores with no luck. Do some more work and drive home. (Now the weekend so Fastenal is closed.
Day 3: Stay home because it's Sunday and Fastenal isn't open on the weekends.
Day 4: Drive out passing several Fastenals on my way to the one by his shop an hour away, find out they don't have it in stock, but could have it the next day (no mention of shipping cost). Leave car ride home with buddy.
Day 5: Ride out with buddy. Drive to Fastenal pick up bolts, get told the total cost and say a string of obscenities in my head. Walk to my car while looking at my receipt, realize they charged me $8 for shipping and handling on 8 bolts. Yell out loud "What the f*ck!?!? Those Mother F*uckers!". Look back and realize the guy that just checked me out was right behind me also walking to his car.

I was tempted to return them and just order them online for much cheaper, but that would mean another day of driving 2 hours round trip and I just wanted to get it done. If I had known from the start that it was going to take 5 days to get these damn bolts I would have just ordered them online and had them shipped to my house for free and had them in my hands by the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good info guys! I just bought the same type of 98 Isuzu trooper 2 days ago. Motor and tranny seem okay but something is funny with the 4 wheel drive. I haven’t had a chance to tear into it but all this gives me a good starting point!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts