Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 98 Rodeo 3.2l V6 a while back. It has some issues and I am trying to find out where to look. First off, the CEL is on but there is no OBD plug. The space is there but there is no plug where it should be or anywhere under the dash! So right now my issues are - 1. It runs rough as soon as you put it in gear. It died while driving it and I thought it might be a fuel problem but it runs great when not in gear. Thinking coils or fuel injector? Also, don't know if it is related but the the sound of the air getting sucked into the intake is very loud! 2. Speedo doesn't work, thinking VSS? 3. The whole front end squeaks. It squeaks when you turn it, it squeaks when you get in it. Not sure what that could be yet.

I am getting kind of frustrated with it since there is no OBD and I don't know where to look. If you have any info on how to check the coils and the injectors that would be great. Also if anyone has any info on what could be squeaking up front that would be great too.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
It sounds Like your ball joints are dry as can be. Do a shake down on the front end. As far as the runability I would start with a tune up. Plugs,fuel filter and an air filter. The air sucking sound might be a cracked intake runner pipe going from the air box to the butterfly. The ECM scan plug might be towards the center of the console possibly.

Welcome to the planet !!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take your panel off friend, on the left under the steering wheel. My OBD meter just sits hanging, it has screw holes but I cant find anywhere to mount it at.
Check for vaccum leaks, Are you getting decent or poor mileage??

Let us know, and post pictures if you can

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
the sound of the air getting sucked into the intake is very loud!
Might not be the intake its self but could be broken intake manifold gaskets. Fairly common on these engines. That could account for the rough running as well.

2. Speedo doesn't work, thinking VSS?
That would be my guess as well.

3. The whole front end squeaks. It squeaks when you turn it, it squeaks when you get in it. Not sure what that could be yet.
I agree with brad that its probably bad/dry ball joints. If you still get squeaks after replacing them, start spraying bushing and anything else you can find with penetrating oil and see if it goes away. Only do one part at a time and do it for a few days. That will let you track down exactly what is making the noise.

Pull the lower cover off the dash (3 or 4 screws) and look around for the OBD plug. Its either there somewhere or you should see cut wires where someone cut it off, which wouldnt make any sense. It might be plugged into some kind of aftermarket box that someone installed for some reason.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Today i checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and it was about 26-28 psi. Is that low? Shouldn't it be way higher? If it is a fuel pressure issue could it be something other than the fuel pump?

I sprayed Starting Fluid around the intake manifold and it did not make a difference in the idle so i don't think that is the problem but is there any other way to check that?

I have pulled the lower part of the dash and looked all over. I don't see any cut wires, but there are a couple of smaller plugs on the main harness on the left side under the dash

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fuel regulator but spraying starting fluid is a way to check for vaccum leaks and a dangerous one.. a 98 :/ id have to check your manual I can't tell.. you might have to get on your back and look straight up into th carriage of wires

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I have 3 Rodeo's with the same engine as yours. The fuel pressure on all three with the engine running at approximately 800 rpm is 34-35 psi. It will read about 38-39 psi before starting the engine. 26-28 psi is too low, you may have a pressure regulator problem.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Stupid question,do you know what the OBDII connector looks like?it is nothing like the connector plug to check OBD I have never seen one w/o it,I have 4 sitting here that have it,it was manditory for post 96 vehicles(there are afew exceptions when nothing emisions changed first few years) your 98 def. Has it they are in two places on 2nd gens(98+) and its not smal

Not trying to offend you either. With these comments,just noticed you keep referring to OBD instead of OBDII which yours has

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No offense taken. Yes I know what a OBDII connector looks like. I have a scanner. I was just referring to it as an "OBD". I have looked and looked but have not found it. I will take a couple of pictures of where it should be and underneath the dash.

I ordered a fuel pressure regulator and and got a new fuel filter and will try those as soon as it gets here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I haven't been on here a while. But I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and runs great now. Thanks for all the trouble shooting help! Now I have a new question... Are the gauge clusters from a rodeo/passport "with" and "without" interchangeable?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Yours probly has the wiring plugs and stuff already. Even the instrument panel probly has the socket for the bulb. But if it doesnt have the plugs and stuff you'll have to change the whole loom. I can't remember if my 91 amigo had the plugs or not, I think so. I would think that the later model would have the extra wiring as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts