Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Planet!

Suzy, my '98 2wd Rodeo, is leaking power steering fluid quick fast and in a hurry. I completely filled my reservoir 2 days ago, and now its very close to empty. I've tried stop leak before, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I can get a remanufactured pump from Auto Zone for $139.99 and a $52.00 core charge, minus a 20% employee discount, but I thought I'd ask if anyone might have access to an OEM pump, or could offer up some advice to "magically" fix this thing.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I'm in need of a power steering pump.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Jerry (jlemond) on here can get factory ones. They come with tie rods, ends, everything ready to go. I think he quoted me around $515 shipped when mine was leaking. Luckily mine stopped leaking shortly after I asked him about it.

Word of warning, they are apparently a biotch to replace.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gizmo42 said:
Jerry (jlemond) on here can get factory ones. They come with tie rods, ends, everything ready to go. I think he quoted me around $515 shipped when mine was leaking. Luckily mine stopped leaking shortly after I asked him about it.

Word of warning, they are apparently a biotch to replace.
I've heard Jerry is the hookup for OEM parts, but $515 for the power steering pump? I think we're talkin about two different parts Gizmo.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gizmo42 said:
Doh! Sorry, reading comprehension fail on my part.

:oops:

Didnt see that it was the pump and thought you were talking about the steering rack. I dont know how much an OEM pump is.
Haha it's fine Gizmo, it happens to the best of us.

I'm kinda on the fence about OEM vs. Duralast. The Duralast has a lifetime warranty, but its remanufactured. I assume the OEM model is brand new, but does it carry a warranty? I also wonder if the price difference would be worth it. So many decisions...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gizmo42 said:
If the OEM isnt much more I would go with it. Otherwise I would think the Duralast would be just fine. Aftermarket would probably be quicker though unless they have to order it in.
I can get the Duralast transferred to my store whenever I need it and it'll be there in a few hours.

I've had good luck with Duralast stuff in the past so unless the OEM is considerably less expensive, and readily available, I'll just go with the sure thing.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Don't get picky about OEM over aftermarket. They use the same bearings and seals from random suppliers.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CatFuzz said:
Don't get picky about OEM over aftermarket. They use the same bearings and seals from random suppliers.
CatFuzz, you're sayin neither one is really "better" than the other?

If the price is right I'll go OEM, if not then Duralast.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have a used pump from the Amigo that I am parting out. $75.

But before you replace the pump, you should check the rack. On my daughter's 1998 Rodeo, the rack was leaking into the boots. Had to replace the rack to stop the leak.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
When I was looking for a pump it was about $207 for OEM. If its the rack, its not hard to replace since you're 2WD.
4WD requires you to remove the front axle, from what I have read in the factory service manual.

So we have it easy on steering rack and starter replacements. :lol:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hack, I've isolate the leak to the pump. How many miles are on your pump, and where are you located?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Truck has 170K on it. I assume that it is the original pump. It works fine. No Leaks.

I am in Severn MD 21144.

Pump looks like it will fit in a large USPS flat rate box. If it does, I will include the shipping in the $75 price. If you are interested, I can pull it tomorrow and check the size. If it fits and you send payment via PayPal, I can have it in the mail on Monday and you will have it on Wed.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hack, I'm actually heading out of town for a week Tuesday so I won't be able to fool with the truck until I get back. If you still have the pump when I get back I'll look mine over, and let you know what I decide.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No problem. I plan to be pulling parts the next few days.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I got my pump off, and it appears all that's wrong is it has a bad o-ring on the suction side. I'm going to replace the o-ring, clean it up, put it back in, and see what the results are.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Make sure you get the correct type of O-Ring. The wrong one will leak even if it looks like it will fit.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hack said:
Make sure you get the correct type of O-Ring. The wrong one will leak even if it looks like it will fit.
Should I be looking for anything in particular? Brand, label, name?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Don't know. I have put the wrong O-rings in hydraulic lines and have had them leak. There are different types of rubber. Too hard and it will leak when the pressure is off. Too soft and it won't handle pressure. Wrong material and it might deteriorate quickly. I'd call/PM Jerry and ask about it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hack said:
Don't know. I have put the wrong O-rings in hydraulic lines and have had them leak. There are different types of rubber. Too hard and it will leak when the pressure is off. Too soft and it won't handle pressure. Wrong material and it might deteriorate quickly. I'd call/PM Jerry and ask about it.
Isuzu parts lists a power steering pump overhaul kit. It does not say whats in it but its not a lot of money. They typically contain the various seals and such.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.