Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1998 Passport SAS

67K views 391 replies 31 participants last post by  caccia 
#1 ·
Well guys, I am in trouble now. The front is completely cleaned and now it is time to start measuring and hoping for the best. The goal is to be done by May... hopefully
Last of ifs wheeling:

And here is the start:

This really is just a weekend project so it will be a long while before it is back together. I hope to have the crossmember done next weekend and get mounts on the axle done.
Any input and questions are welcome and I will try my best to keep the thread updated.

See less See more
#5 ·
Anyone have any ideas for leveling out the rear suspension? I was thinking of getting adjustable uppers made that would go around the gas tank but the gas tank really limits how high I could go with that method. Also thought of doing a three think but that is too much work. What do you guys think of running leaf springs in the rear?

#7 ·
Thanks for the link, I remember reading through it about a year ago. Quite ambitious for the three link set up, a little too involved for me. This is my first project and I am only a high school student so I have a lot to learn. I am getting a good amount of guidance from my neighbor though.

#8 ·
Subscribing to this. Good luck!

#9 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates. Due to school and work I have made very little progress but here is where I stand. Got my axle all buttoned up with the truss and mounts, am still working on my link crossmember and got the frame completely cleaned off after multiple hours with the grinder. There are also some pics from the Chili Challenge down in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Went down there with some buddies and had a good time, it sure does suck not having your own vehicle to wheel though. Hopefully I will get to work on it this Saturday. I look forward to your comments.

Thanks,
Jason

#10 ·
Damn dude! His is really ambitious for a high school kid, good for you! I wish I was that knowledgeable in high school
I wish I'm that knowledgeable now! ;)

#12 ·
Obviously not!

I Sure hope you have a DD though. It would totally sick if you didn't have wheels till May!

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

#17 ·
That is set at a couple inches higher than what my final ride height will be, I plan on the fenders being about 44-45". I am using Rusty's WJ 6.5" lift front coil springs and hopefully I can run a 14" shock but I may be only able to run a 12" shock due to clearance and balancing up and down travel.

#18 ·
Unfortunately progress has been extremely slow due to school, work, and family.

I have been trying to figure out what to do with the rear as I need to go up about 6-7 more inches. I have debated putting leafs but after this much effort to link the front I would hate to put leafs in the rear. I have thought of getting a fuel cell in order to relocate the gas tank. I have also thought of building brackets like Jonesy and getting calmini bent upper links.

Brackets like this:

Any input you guys have will be greatly appreciated as I am stuck in a vicious circle of thoughts right now.

#21 ·
98passport said:
Interesting idea but from my reading it seems radius arms bind easier compared to a true link set up. Also, how would you factor in anti-squat with a radius arm set up?
Correct. One option that a lot of 80 series LC's use is to remove a bolt from one of the radius arms, allowing more flex and less bind.

To calculate anti-squat, just do it for a four-link and use the top and bottom links attached at the same pivot point on the frame, but different points on the axle.

#24 ·
I am strongly leaning towards leafs in the rear. They will be cheap and easy and I will be able to sell my OME 912s and the independent4x adjustable heavy duty lower links. There has been no progress at the moment, school and work have kept me preoccupied. Currently I am wating for my pitman and tie rod to get reamed so I can get measurements to make my drag link. Still a while to go, need to mount my steering box and plumb it, then I need a track bar, shocks, brake lines, and a driveshaft. I just really hope it will all go together and be driveable. I also just picked up some trail gear sliders. It is great when you find supportive people on craigslist who are willing to help a high school student working on a budget. Craigslist deals have made this build possible for me! :D

I hope to have more updates soon, I get out of school in less than two weeks!

Jason

#25 ·
If I were to modify the upper rear trailing arm towers would I have problems with suspension geometry since I am changing the angle of the upper link in relation to the lower link. Would there be any antisquat issues etc.?
I could also do a set up that lowers the lower link and raises the upper link like this:

If I raise the upper link mount on the axle is it neccessary to lower the lower link mount on the frame? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#26 ·
i'm looking at doing the same exact thing with making extension brakets for the upper trail arms so i'm interested in figuring out if i need to lower the lower bar mounts also, but i'm only looking to get 2 or 3 more inchs out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.