Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I am in trouble now. The front is completely cleaned and now it is time to start measuring and hoping for the best. The goal is to be done by May... hopefully
Last of ifs wheeling:

And here is the start:

This really is just a weekend project so it will be a long while before it is back together. I hope to have the crossmember done next weekend and get mounts on the axle done.
Any input and questions are welcome and I will try my best to keep the thread updated.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am doing a y-link long arm setup. I will have a crossmember right in front of the transfer case and will integrate a transmission mount onto it. So y-link with coils.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have any ideas for leveling out the rear suspension? I was thinking of getting adjustable uppers made that would go around the gas tank but the gas tank really limits how high I could go with that method. Also thought of doing a three think but that is too much work. What do you guys think of running leaf springs in the rear?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link, I remember reading through it about a year ago. Quite ambitious for the three link set up, a little too involved for me. This is my first project and I am only a high school student so I have a lot to learn. I am getting a good amount of guidance from my neighbor though.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Subscribing to this. Good luck!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates. Due to school and work I have made very little progress but here is where I stand. Got my axle all buttoned up with the truss and mounts, am still working on my link crossmember and got the frame completely cleaned off after multiple hours with the grinder. There are also some pics from the Chili Challenge down in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Went down there with some buddies and had a good time, it sure does suck not having your own vehicle to wheel though. Hopefully I will get to work on it this Saturday. I look forward to your comments.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
928 Posts
Damn dude! His is really ambitious for a high school kid, good for you! I wish I was that knowledgeable in high school
I wish I'm that knowledgeable now! ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Obviously not!

I Sure hope you have a DD though. It would totally sick if you didn't have wheels till May!

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am able to drive my parents cars.

Here is progress as of yesterday. I got the links on the axle, still need to set caster. Got holes drilled and crossmember mounted to the frame.

·
Registered
928 Posts
DANG that's tall! What springs are you using?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is set at a couple inches higher than what my final ride height will be, I plan on the fenders being about 44-45". I am using Rusty's WJ 6.5" lift front coil springs and hopefully I can run a 14" shock but I may be only able to run a 12" shock due to clearance and balancing up and down travel.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately progress has been extremely slow due to school, work, and family.

I have been trying to figure out what to do with the rear as I need to go up about 6-7 more inches. I have debated putting leafs but after this much effort to link the front I would hate to put leafs in the rear. I have thought of getting a fuel cell in order to relocate the gas tank. I have also thought of building brackets like Jonesy and getting calmini bent upper links.

Brackets like this:

Any input you guys have will be greatly appreciated as I am stuck in a vicious circle of thoughts right now.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting idea but from my reading it seems radius arms bind easier compared to a true link set up. Also, how would you factor in anti-squat with a radius arm set up?

1 - 20 of 392 Posts