Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assembeling Engine over holidays and I cant seem to get the left bank cams timed correctly... :evil: I have the "all Data" diagrams and I think they are incorrect? R Bank was no problem Left bank is making me Crazy!!!!!! I follow the insructions just as the Diagram shows and the exhaust cam lobes open only a few crankshaft degrees after the intake closes. The timing belt is not installed and engine is on the stand in the shop howeveer it is obvious the cams are installed incorrectly. It appears that something in the drawing is incorrect as I noticed when all refreance points are correct per the drawing the descrepancy is in the orientation of the cam lobe...... the drawing shows my LE lobe should be up about 1 o clock mine is down like 5 o clock if I relocate the lobe more counter-clockwise to look like the drawing None of the dowells and alignment marks match...... if I align the double dots on each cam with the corresponding LE and LI letters at the 12o clock position and align the double dots on each gear with the dots on the drive gear like the picture shows the cams are incorrect...... WOW I wish I would have marked them before I sent them to the CYL head guy.... any body else had this issue? :?

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
The same Exhaust cam is used in the left and right banks and should have a single dot and a double dot on the cam gear. When used in the left bank, match the double dot on the cam gear to the single dot on the drive gear.

The left hand Intake cam is different from the right hand cam. The left hand Intake cam has a double dot and the right hand a single dot.

The left bank cams are installed correctly when the double dots on the cam gears match the single dots on the drive gear and the pulley alignment mark is matched to the 9 o'clock reference mark on the head. However, before the belt is installed you rotate the pulley 90 degrees clockwise. At that point the pulley alignment mark is matched to the 12 o'clock position mark on the head cover. The dots are no longer matched at this position.

If the cam alignment appears incorrect when the marks are aligned as described above then it is possible one or both cam gear securing pins are sheared off and the cam gear has slipped on the camshaft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BUSTER28 you were correct, sheared dowell on L bank EX Cam...... well that explains why it was in the scrap yard with the timing covers off..... and a new timing belt...... oh well easy fix... I hope to have it running by end of week!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts