Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would stop using the new member introduction section and start my "build" thread.
Introduction is http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=70532

My buddy just helped me get my rack on, and tonight when I am off work Ill get the awning and RTT up there.

This is my junk as she sits now. 3.2 auto manual hubs. OME 912s, Blue t-bars, ARB with Warn.

I have some ball joints ordered, I am currently eating up my passenger front tire, I need an alignment too.
I would like to source one more 15" snowflake so I can have a spare, if not I'll cut my losses and buy a set of 16s" trooper wheels.
interior: I have removed the smaller section of the back seats and have an ARB freezer, the PO wired 2 always on plugs for me which I really like.
I have the rear door storage pockets off a newer model, and I would like to get a set of front seats with arm rests.

Overall, I have owned a lot of stuff, including an 80 series land cruiser, this is my favorite, as far as being comfortable on long trips, but I still feel like if I wanted to I could go offroad. My fiancé's rodeo has always done fine offroad for what we have done, but there is always that ting of hesitation when taking something 95% stock into the woods. this thing is a joy to pack, lots of storage even compared to the 80, I feel like the trooper is better laid out. I will not wheel this, I even thought about going to 31s but with my lift, I dont think that will happen.

To do list in no order except for new ball joints with flip first.
new CVs
valve cover gasket
electric fan
sliders

more to come.

Zack.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,382 Posts
That's one good looking Trooper. Leave those snowflakes on, they look great.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Nice looking Troop dude, this is making me think I need to put snowflakes on my 2nd Gen.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the ball joint flip, it was as easy and straight forward as it seemed to be on the expedition west page. Took it to firestone and got their lifetime alignment, so eventually Ill do the lower ball joints. Trooper drives much better now.

I have all new brake pads to do immediately. I hope I dont needs rotors/calipers. I usually change all that at once, but times are tighter than they used to be.

Next big issue is the intake and valve cover gaskets. I am intimidated by taking the intake off. I wish I had someone to hold my hand through this project.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I somehow missed this thread. That trooper is looking good! Where's the pictures with the RTT and the awning?

I thought the brakes were done on it, maybe on the rear. When we put the limited slip in the rear, I vaguely remember them being on the list, but I could be wrong. I recall something about the rear brakes... that was a couple years ago though! Maybe it was the parking brake shoes that were bad? I don't know

Don't stress over the intake and valve cover gaskets. Its just parts. Go easy and don't break anything. Stuff rags or paper towels into the open holes while you are working so that you don't drop anything in accidentally.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here are a few pictures I have taken, I finally figured out how to connect the droid to the computer to view the files.

along with brakes this weekend I am going to crawl under there and see if I need to top off the transmission fluid. I had an issue yesterday I am trying to track down. I have never done any kind of trans trouble shooting before. Uncharted territory.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is awesome! I'm glad you are using her well!

Reactions: Jamacee

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TrooperChris said:
This is awesome! I'm glad you are using her well!
Havnt used her yet. Between work and the house I haven't been camping in months. Made a lot of plans but something always comes up.

We are getting married march 22 and only rented a cabin for 3 nights and are planning to camp two. I HAVE to do a run before then to make sure everything works.

Those always on plugs you wired are awesome I love having them, until I don't drive for a few days and leave the arb plugged in. I need to look at dual batteries but idk where I could fit one. I might need to get a sealed deep cycle and see about bolting it under the truck in the back somewhere. I need to figure out what options I have.

That's way down the road though. I have to get it base lined first and the trans about gave me a heart attack yesterday. I bought this knowing full well troopers eat autos but I'm not ready for that just now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One day I will have an arb bumper….but for now Im just really jealous :)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
KupaTroopa said:
One day I will have an arb bumper….but for now Im just really jealous :)
I had an ARB bumper once....matter of fact I had that bumper once...

I couldn't pick it up and so I hotwired the winch and lifted it into the air by hanging it on a tree limb. Then I drove the bug under and lowered it down onto my roof rack. I started to drive it to birmingham that way, but I overheated and towed it instead.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i went with my gut and bought two new calipers, one new rotor. everything is back together. Its dark, I'm done for today and work 12 hours sun-tuesday. Ill try to get them bled Wednesday, but we may be a one car family until next weekend. I'll just have to see how this week goes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the brakes together, and bled!

the trans slipped on me really bad the other day, I have been panicking since. Today I got under there and checked the fluid, as far as I can tell its too low, I ordered a fram sure drain set up. I'll change filter and see how things go. I am not up for a 5 speed swap, and I dont think I'll throw any money at a 4l30e.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didnt bookmark the page I needed, and now I cant find it.

The parts store said they had the now discontinued fram sure drain kit and ordered it for me, what arrived was just a regular drain plug.

I didnt have high hopes for pumping ATF up hill into a downward facing hole, but I tried it anyway, it went about as well as I expected, I think I spilled as much or more than I got into the trans.

I am looking for info about how to check the ATF level, I read somewhere it is supposed to drip out slightly when the truck is running and you remove the fill plug?

is this the hole people talk about sticking your finger in to check the level?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I use a small garden sprayer to pump oil into my manual transmission, it would work for ATF too.

Reactions: Jamacee

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BigSwede said:
I use a small garden sprayer to pump oil into my manual transmission, it would work for ATF too.
I got a pump that fits onto the ATF bottle, pumping it up wasnt a problem, but the end didnt fit in the hole, I did my best to hold it tight but without some kind of connector/being able to feed it into the trans a lot leaked out.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
There are two pans on the underside of the 4L30E: the large main pan and the small overdrive pan (nearest the engine). The main pan will have two plugs: (2) is the drain plug & (1) is the overfill plug.

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 12.45.17 AM.png

You need to use (2) to drain the transmission and (1) to fill the transmission. First with the car off, fill the transmission using plug (1) until fluid flows out of the overfill plug. Install the plug. Then turn the car on, shift through the gears and let it warm up (I think I drive a mile or so when I do it). Then put it in park and remove plug (1) again and continue to fill until the ATF flows out of the plug again. Then just torque it down (I think both plugs are 38 N-m/ 28 ft-lb).

Make sure you replace the copper washer on both plugs otherwise the fluid will slowly leak out.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here is what I use to top off. It is a horse syringe from a local farm supply store. Not very convenient to do more than a quart this way, but I have done as many as three. I do it from the passenger side, put it in at a 45 degree angle, usually I don't lose any fluid until it gets full.

They do make a hand pump that fits the bottle. Then you can just attach a piece of hose to it and pump it in.

The fluid needs to be checked with the truck running. If you do a filter change, fill up the pan before you start it. Then start it, run through the gears, put it park, let it warn up for a bit. Then with it still running, go back under it and put more fluid in until it starts running out the fill hole. Then repeat. Then put the plug back in and you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.